Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i want to download mandriva one off the mandriva website and i need to know ,since im a complete newb at most window managers,if KDE or Gnome is faster. plz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

kde or gnome

i want to download mandriva one off the mandriva website and i need to know ,since im a complete newb at most window managers,if KDE or Gnome is faster.
    plz help
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

GNOME if generally faster and more lightweight while KDE is more feature rich. My suggestion is to try both and decide for yourself.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

ok thx for your help.
    Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds

Personal and politically centrist blog.--->
    http://www.deathnerd.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    See... here's a great example of the reason that it's always best to try these things for yourself and then make your own decision.

It so happens that KDE feels faster than Gnome on my computer.

Have fun experimenting with both of them.
    oz

I haven't had the BEST experience with KDE, but I must say, Gnome is more lightweight, more graphical in terms of effects such as Compiz and Beryl (3D/wobbly effects).

KDE is well known to fit businesses better as it seems to have better facilities such as menu's like built in searches on the openSuSe menu.

I would reccomend Gnome for it's all purpose and speed. Despite KDE being all 'businessy', it used a hell of a lot of my system resources, whereas gnome uses like 20%, KDE uses 98%. But as usual, my CPU usage is around 0%-3% .

Try them both, it depends on your taste. Mandriva probably suits it's new KDE style better than Gnome. I reccomend Ubuntu. (but that's my opinion).
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by danvds3
    it used a hell of a lot of my system resources, whereas gnome uses like 20%, KDE uses 98%. But as usual, my CPU usage is around 0%-3% .
    KDE uses 98% and GNOME on 20%. This is not true at all. KDE and GNOME uses almost same amount of system resources. There must be something terribly wrong with your setup.
    Could you list services that KDE uses and GNOME does not?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I think you should just try both desktops and make your own choice. I personally do not see much difference in terms of resource usage between the two.

I probably overexaggerated... openSuSe had a lot of background apps running. Ubuntu has a lot less. But yeah, KDE is known to handle business better.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by danvds3
    openSuSe had a lot of background apps running.
    Correct. OpenSuSe starts a tons of applications at boot up but its easy to stop all unnecessary applications.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

So tell me, What's Gentoo like? Apparently it features a different package type. Not deb or rpm? Does this make it harder to get hold of software, or do you simply just compile from source?
    George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast