Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, Can You please tell me what are the main advantages and disadvantages between a command line and GUI in linux? advantages if I used GRUB and advantages if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Command Line Vs. GUI

hello,

Can You please tell me what are the main advantages and disadvantages between a command line and GUI in linux?

advantages if I used GRUB and advantages if I used LILO..thanks

Arrow

Can You please tell me what are the main advantages and disadvantages between a command line and GUI in linux?
    it depends on how familiar are you with your linux system.

if you are familiar with commands you can do you tasks fastly and with ease. on the other hand you find GUI applications easier to handle certain operations than shell commands

advantages if I used GRUB and advantages if I used LILO
    when compared to LILO GRUB is more powerfull

LILO has no interactive command interface, whereas GRUB does.

LILO does not support booting from a network, whereas GRUB does.

LILO stores information regarding the location of the operating systems it can to load physically on the MBR. If you change your LILO config file, you have to rewrite the LILO stage one boot loader to the MBR. Compared with GRUB, this is a much more risky option since a misconfigured MBR could leave the system unbootable. With GRUB, if the configuration file is configured incorrectly, it will simply default to the GRUB command-line interface.
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

GUI interface gives easy but limited click control with no parameters , while command line gives far more superior control, but is very cumbersome

GUI is easy on the eyes, but every distro has different gui utilities which do many of the same tasks. From the command line, it doesn't matter which distro you are using, the Linux commands will in almost all cases do exactly the same thing. That makes it easier when moving to a different distro or running more than one. To me this is the best reason to be familiar with the command line.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    You really need to try both and decide for yourself because what I consider an advantage or disadvantage, you or someone else might consider just the opposite.

The same applies to LILO vs GRUB.

That said, I prefer to use GRUB, but used to love LILO. I do most of my actual work from a GUI, but do all my system tweaking and package upgrades from command line.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys for your nice idea that you shared with me it's much appreciated....it helps me a lot..