Find the answer to your Linux question:
Had successful install of Mandriva 2007 free on ASUS A8V motherboard with 939 AMD 64 CPU. That mb had VIA VT8237 chipset for SATA. MB died and replaced with ASUS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Failure

Had successful install of Mandriva 2007 free on ASUS A8V motherboard with 939 AMD 64 CPU. That mb had VIA VT8237 chipset for SATA.

MB died and replaced with ASUS A8V-VM which has VIA VT8237A chipset. Boot loader attempts to boot from SATA drive but locks up so attepted new installation.

Problem: Mandriva installer can't find a driver for the VT8237A. I found a driver on the CD that came with the MB but now I need to know how to get the installer to see and load it.

Thanks in advance,

Cool

Hey,
    I guess you have install sata drivers for vt8237.
    if you need drivers, here they are:
    promise drivers from Asus site :
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis.../378_Linux.zip

via VT8237 drivers (might work with RH versions) :
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...SubCatI D=143

VT8237 driver disk (might be what you were looking for ) for Mandriva Releases :
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...SubCatI D=190

For installation or set-up procedures,refer to the instructions contained in the package.
    This thread might help you more-->
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ta-driver.html
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Just Joined!

Howto

Thanks for the source info. Unfortunately, my problem is not finding a driver it is getting the Mandriva installer to accept a driver that is not in its native list. Nothing in the Mandriva docs indicate that it is even possible (or I missed it). If that is true, then this distro is not ready for prime time (or I am not.

FlyDiver

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyDiver View Post
    Thanks for the source info. Unfortunately, my problem is not finding a driver it is getting the Mandriva installer to accept a driver that is not in its native list. Nothing in the Mandriva docs indicate that it is even possible (or I missed it). If that is true, then this distro is not ready for prime time (or I am not.

FlyDiver
    Hi - Mandriva won't install a driver supplied with a motherboard (on a CD) unless that driver is specifically designed for a *nix system. That much I know ... I don't know if there's an open source version of the driver you're looking for.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I agree with fingal. You dont need any driver for VT8237A.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyDiver
    Boot loader attempts to boot from SATA drive but locks up so attepted new installation.
    Could you post the exact error message here?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Error Report

Mandriva installer indicates that it found "Via Technologies Inc. |VT8237A Sata2-Port Controller" Then it asks for another. If I answer no then it says "An error occurrend, no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems." The hardware error reports 8237A PCI to ISA bridge unknown."

Additional Information: Downloaded and burned an Ubuntu ver6.xx server .iso. It recognizes the 8237A, sees the SATA drives and reads the partition data. Of course I carefully partitioned the drives so that usr and home were on their own partions just in case I had to do a reinstall. That worked well for Mandriva re-installs but I don't remember which partition is which so need to get the Mandriva to run.

Just Joined!

More Info

Have now installed Ubuntu server and KUbutu. Both are able to see my SATA 2 drives, mount the partitions and view the files and directories.

Downloaded the latest DVD for Mandriva Free Spring 2007 X86_64 (twice) and both copies say they cannot create some kind of loopback. From the logs, it looks like an uncompress failed (not certain that is what the message really means). Conclusion: MANDRIVA NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME! Sorry for the yelling and bad language but if an old copy of (bad language warning) WIN2k and Ubuntu can see the SATA 2 drives and Mandriva cannot, then it seems pretty clear that Mandriva doesn't have what it takes. Pitty, because the DrakTools are very handy and save a lot of pecking on the keyboard. Fortunately there are alternatives.