Find the answer to your Linux question:
just got my first ever linux - mandriva 2007 spring. when i try to install from rpms using the software manager, it always says "some packages cannot be installed (due ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't install any programs

just got my first ever linux - mandriva 2007 spring. when i try to install from rpms using the software manager, it always says "some packages cannot be installed (due to unsatisfied xxxxxx).
    and when i try and install from tar.gzs, the ./configure command just ends with "no acceptable c compiler found in $PATH".
    Whats wrong with it?! I've only had it for a few minutes and already im stuck!
    thanks

ps ive looked at some other stuff about this c compiler problem on the internet and none of the solutions worked, including reinstalling gcc, cos when i try to to the configure command when installing gcc, it says it cant find gcc! im guessing theres something ive missed here!

Just Joined!
    It sounds like you are just downloading the rpm files off of web and installing them without having configured the sources first(I did this before I understood the urpmi/rpmdrake, the software manager's system <:O). Where are you getting them

If you have not, follow the directions here

That should solve most of the unsatisfied xxxx messages, but urpmi/rpmdrake is not infallible so sometimes you will have to hunt around for the needed rpm files

RPM Search is a great place to look for them(use advanced search and check mandriva 2007. Once you find an rpm that you need/want to install you can even check what other software your computer needs with the javascript button on the page marked "Check Requires"

Just Joined!
    ah cool thanks a lot!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close