Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had mandriva 2007 free installed and decided I wanted to try out Fedora, so burned a cd and used gparted to change my partitions. However, I was tired at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Messed up boot partition, now can't boot Mandriva

I had mandriva 2007 free installed and decided I wanted to try out Fedora, so burned a cd and used gparted to change my partitions. However, I was tired at the time and deleted my boot partition. Fedora installed GRUB and I configured it to load the Windows partition and Mandriva partition I had, thinking that would fix my problem, but no dice. I now get this nice message when trying to boot mandriva:

"Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable"

It can load windows fine, and I don't think the partition is damaged, since I can mount it in Fedora.

I do not have much linux experience, so have no idea how to solve this, but am comfortable with the command line, so can anyone give advice on what to do?

I know this isn't exactly Mandriva help, but please do assist. I don't want to get stuck in an "it's their problem" limbo.

Brainy

oz
    forum.guy
    Check out TestDisk. It can be found on the Parted Magic LivedCD:

Parted Magic

TestDisk is a great tool for recovering lost partitions, tables, etc.

The Parted Magic LiveCD is a small download and quick burn to CD.
    oz

If you have deleted /boot partition, created new and installed Fedora over it then be very careful while using TestDisk. You could loose Windows and Fedora too.

Save output of fdisk -l command to some safe place before using Testdisk. If anything goes wrong, You can recreate Partition Table.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Alright, maybe there is a perfectly good explanation for this, but it is confusing.

I was checking what I could recover from the mandriva partions by mounting it to /mnt/Mandriva with the command "mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/Mandriva"

Going to the boot folder there though, there are files in the /boot folder :o

I thought that was a mounted folder, and thus should be empty. I was thinking it was looking at the fedora mount somehow, but they are different.

I haven't tried that TestDisk utility, but am burning it right now.