After Mandrake+Lilo install, only windows boots o_O
These are my first steps in the linux universe, so i'm really a newbie here, even though I was an experienced windows user... So please, no long words :wink:
I checked the threads of this forum, but found no thread related to the problem I have, so, here I come :o
Let's get to the facts : my problem is that I installed a Mandrake Discovery 10.1 following the wizard's automatic config, that Lilo was installed, and yet at the reboot only windows loads.
No Lilo, no linux.
Now, more details :
If that can help, here is the detailed structure of my hard disks after mandrake disco was installed. Click the URL for a picture
- preparing the installation : On my primary master harddisk, a 30 GB HD, composed of a single partition (C: .), I resized C: to 15 GB, so that there would be a 15GB space free for Linux.
- then the installation process began with a reboot with mandrake CD1 in the CD-rom drive.
- at the partition&disk step, the wizard offered me three choices, and i chose to let it automatically use the free space. It didn't ask me anything more, and as planned (I checked it later with partition magic in windowsXP) it used the free space after c: on the primary master to install its three linux partitions.
- the installation continued, all was fine, and in the end, it said it would reboot the system, and after that, lilo would load and I'd enter the marvelous linux world where geeks are smiling down on you... erm, excuse me, my imagination went unleashed.
- the computer rebooted. And alas, it rebooted as if there was no Mandrake nor Lilo installed : POST, and then windowsXP loading. Not a single line about another boot loader, or about another operating system.
- In case that would be a "bug that happens once in a lifetime", I repeated the process three times. Before each new attemps, using partition magic in windowsXP, I deleted the Mandrake partitions, resized c: to the full harddisk space (30 GB), and then resized it again to 15 GB, and checked the MBR was the same, just to make sure there was not a single trace left of Linux.
Every of the 3 attempts, I had the same problem, no Lilo nor Linux.
-> I have no idea how that went wrong, I don't know either how to solve this.
I suspect one possibility, though.
In the early days of windows98 (centuries ago, in IT years, I guess), I had read that Linux had to be installed in the first megs of the harddisk, just like Windows98 in fact. If that is still the case, then, my Mandrake being installed in the last 15 gigabytes of my hard disk, after 15 other gigabytes, I have my explanation.
But that doesn't make sense, Mandrake's installer wouldn't install Mandrake into a place where it KNOWS it cannot be booted, can't it ?
Besides, even if that was the case, isn't Lilo supposed to solve that by installing itself in the master boot record, thus in the very first clusters of the hard disk ?
And if my suspiction is right, yet the problem remains, how could it be solved ?
Thank you for your time if you can help me :)