Another Struggling Noob...
** Caution: Over-zealous noob! Handle with care **
OK, so I decided windows was annoying me, and I was sick of having to do illegal things in the name of functionality (like download SP2 cracks or steal license stickers from the side of PC's at the office to re-install the thing) so I finally gave it the push in favour of Mandrake 10.1 (selected at random from a few recommended distro's)
My opinions 3 days in are mixed. The flexibility and customisation of the thing are great, the GUI is easy to use, the web support from sites like this is top notch (many thanks already, you guys rock!) and the terminal syntax is all pretty easy going so far. However, I have several problems that are really getting to me... (if these should have been separate topics I'm sorry! I'm at a bit of a loss and think it might all be linked...)
1) Mandrake is slow. Programs take ages to load, compared to XP. I have a 3.06 GHz Celeron and 512Mb RAM and windows was pretty swift - is this normal?
2) Sometimes it takes 3/4 attempts to load (hangs bcauses the before boot screen with normal startup, with 'verbose mode' it hangs after 'loading cryptographic interface' or something). 3rd or 4th time it loads up fine.
3) Programs stop responding, or never load properly, particularly the network monitor or system configuration.
4) ndiswrapper is a *****! D-Link DWL122(revB), got up to 'ndiswrapper -l' and it gives me 'driver present, hardware present' but 'modprobe ndiswrapper' causes the terminal to crash!
5) I've missed two days of university already trying to get this stuff to work 8o( On the plus side, I'm doing a physics degree, so I'm loving the openoffice.org maths editor with the OD PDF support! (Did I see something on OS install meantioning Fortran support?)
Now I am a total noob, I've only had 3 days experience of Linux and I'm starting to struggle... can anyone convince me not to delete these Linux partitions and go back to a life of MS-Related crime?
Just in case it's relevant, i think the Kernel I installed to try and make ndiswrapper work when it didn;t first time was 184.108.40.206 if that makes sense.
Hee hee, kernel... keeps making me think of fried chicken 8o)