Still getting Grub Error 21
Here's what device.map looks like
Here's what /boot/grub/menu.lst (grub.conf in others..)
kernal (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent vga=788
kernal (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1
kernal (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 failsafe
I edited the above as you suggested but no luck. Let me give you a step by step of how I got here.
- Did a live install of Mandriva One using a live CD on an external 40GB Seagate USB drive.
- I used the System Configuration boot menu to setup & install grub. I install it on the internal drive of the laptop where XP is installed (sda). Here's where the confusion is.
- After the grub installation, how does editing the menu.lst file make a difference? Do the install.sh executable have to be run again to install the changes on to the mbr?
- Do the grub files have to be copied to sdb1? I guess once the install is done on the mbr (sda), it does not matter?
- I have to repeat the same thing after every failure since the only way to boot the laptop is using the live CD? All the grub files have to created again.
- Lastly, Is there a way to restore the original windows mbr using a recovery CD or something? Can a XP boot file be downloaded to CD? I know now that I should have installed the recovery console on my laptop.