Mouse settings forgotten after each boot
As a linux newbie I am particularly mystified with a problem I am having with my mouse under Mandrake 10.1 download edit. and KDE 3.2 where my mouse fails to work after each boot up of the system, until I change the settings using the mouse. A detailed description of my first linux journey lies below.
1. The mouse worked perfectly during the installation routine.
2. I rebooted I found that the system would not respond to the mouse at all. Using the shortcut keys in KDE I managed to open up the system config and proceeded to set the mouse option to the ps2 ms explorer mouse, (I am using a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2 plugged into a ps2 port via a USB adapter, but the signals coming from the mouse are the same as any other, I think.).
3. Nothing happened, the mouse still didn't work.
4. On the second attempt the mouse test screen appeared and the my mouse functioned properly. :)
5. Upon rebooting the mouse failed to work again and it seems I have to go through this procedure upon every boot. :?
6. I read somewhere that I had to scroll the mouse wheel to activate it, but this doesn't seem to work.
I am probably missing something really obvious here. Please will someone more experienced than I spare some time to bestow some wisdom upon this linux virgin