Need a little help please.
I am a Linux newbie and have recently installed Mandrake 10.1 to make a dual-boot with my windows system until I become more comfortable and confident on Linux. I have a few questions which I hope you may be able to help me with.
1. I have an internal LG 56Kbps Voice Modem which Linux recognises as a AliCorp 56K SmartLink Modem. Whatever I install, the system can't connect to the modem. What must I do to get this working as all other peripherals work fine. I have hunted around on the net and found a driver named “slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz” but how or where must I install this to make the modem work?
2. How can I chose whether I want to run a KDE desktop or GNOME desktop as I have both installed?
3. How can I make sure that any changes I make to the desktop, for example renaming shortcuts, stay that way when I logout and reboot?
4. I have installed various programmes for KDE whilst running KDE which have not shown up on the start menu. Where can I find them and how do I run them?
5. Also, how can I resize the partition on which I have linux installed to make more space to install more packages as when I try and unmount the partition it says there is an error and it can't unmount the drive. So far I have had to delete the home/directory and had to re-install the whole operating system so that I could re-partition file:/
I would really appreciate any help.