Should I Re-Install Mandrake? Maybe Another Distro?
Okay, so I'm wondering if it is normal to have as many problems as I've had with Mandrake or if I should just re-install either Mandrake or another distro and see if it works better next time. *crosses fingers* BTW, I've been using this install of Mandrake 10.1 for more than a half a year now, so me thinks I've given it a pretty fair shot.
* I've had several crashes since I've installed it (Compared to none in the same time frame with Windows XP Pro which I use much more often. Amazing and unusual, I know.)
* XMMS has never worked. Visual display comes up and then it freezes. I have to use XKill to stop it every time. Eventually I just uninstalled it.
* Randomly, all of the games that came with Mandrake quit working one day. Not a huge deal I know, but aggravating nonetheless. I ended up having to delete that user account and create a new one to fix the problem.
* KsCD has an option to stop auto playing CDs when you insert them. I tell it to quit by unchecking a box *or maybe checking, dont remember* and it doesn't have any effect. Just keeps doing what it feels like.
* NoAtun (sp?) works great. Wish it could do everything that XMMS or Windows Media Player can do though.
* KsAudioCreator (sp?) for Ripping music from CDs. Is the SLOWEST piece of junk ever created on my computer. You click on something, wait 5 seconds, it does something. Click on something else... etc. Still haven't gotten it to rip anything.
There are so many great things in Mandrake though. The urpmi program works very well, and all of the configuration utilities are great. I just wish there was an easy way to get everyday things that I do in Windows to work just as easily. There have just been so many flakiness type issues in Mandrake. It's like being back in Windows 98 again (I dub thee sir-crash-a-lot.) Only in Mandrake it's not so much OS crashing as it is unstable programs and flaky operation. So far messing with Mandrake has been even more aggravating than Win 98 was.
Once again my question is basically:
Should I just reinstall Mandrake and cross my fingers? Should I try another distro in the hopes that it'll give my computer less indigestion? I'm not quite ready to give up on Linux yet, though I'm getting very close with Mandrake. I guess I'm just trying to get a flavor for if it's common for people to go through this many problems with Linux and I should just deal with it. All suggestions and advice are welcome. Even if it's just to flame the newbie (seemingly a favored pasttime of some experienced Linux users), at least I'll get a kick out of it.