[SOLVED !] I cannot log off anymore o_O
Hello folks !
I have a weird functionality disappearance, associated with a bug.
But the result is that I cannot open a new session (whether with the same user name or another user, wheter my current environment or another).
OK, more details maybe ? :o
- I'm with KDE 3.3 (gnome also installed besides it), Mandriva 2005 LE french. Plenty of things installed, and I'm pretty sure I didn't notice the change at once, so I can't thell what might have triggered that change.
- in the KDE menu, the only two choices given to me related to session management is to : (i'll translate the french into english, translation might be imperfect)
-> The choice to "Start a new session" has simply disappeared !
- The solution to log off ("quit environment") does not work. If I do so it offers me two choices : "quit KDE", and "Cancel".
AND if I chose to quit KDE, I won't be brought to the "chose user" menu, the menu in which I can ask another user, such as root or myself, and chose the environment, KDE or Gnome.
If I chose to quit KDE, i'll be directly brought into a console-looking environment, X exited : text-mode, probably the basicest console mode of Linux... i.e. X stopped.
And then, the only thing I can do is to run "startx".
When I write "I can do" it is literarily : I don't know the other things I could do, maybe I could chose to run gnome instead of KDE, run a user instead of another, but that I don't know how to do if it is possible. And honestly I don't care, that's not the thing I want to know dearest, i'd prefer to solve my problem :o
Probably for the same reason, when asking to shutdown the machine (after I quit KDE) the machine won't shutdown but instead take me to the console mode. My only shutdown solution is pressing once the power button on my central unit :x
- that brings me to another problem which is probably related to it : when I start my computer, after Lilo, Mandriva boots... but ends in text mode, no graphic environment is loaded ! I don't have time to read the log, It seems there's some error text (the "warning" word always catches my eye) but alas, at that point, the startup log disappears and the console mode starts. The "pause" button does not work alas during startup mode.
And yet, in KDE and Mandrake control panels, I had configured my system to automatically start graphical environment, with my user automatically logged.
And yet, at the end of startup, I have to provide my login and password, and run startx.
I searched LogDrake for that "warning" word but got something totally unrelated : "Jun 27 07:56:28 dhcp-241-997 postfix: warning: My hostname dhcp-241-997 is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf" which is of very little interest here, it seems.
I have checked all the configuration menus of KDE and Mandrake, and checked boxes that shouldn't let my system go wild like that. But yet, i'll be glad to do it again if it is suggested, I don't want to look cool but to solve my problem, and after all, it's certain there's one thing at least that I should have done, but yet that I haven't done yet :wink:
That brings me two questions :
- please, do you know how to solve my problem ? ^_______^
- at least, do you know if there is somewhere stored a log of the boot process ? So that I may take my time to read in detail whatever might be going wrong ?
I really want to solve that, so I'm ready to help, to search whatever way is suggested, to give whatever info you need on my system :)
Thanks a lot if you can help ^_^