Why Buy? & Conexant Softmodem
Aside from documentation, why should I buy the Discovery/PowerPack versions of 2005LE, rather than simply using the download version? What are the differences/benefits? I know they have commercial software included, but that's not very specific. If I were to buy, I'd buy the PowerPack, and I find that quite pricey.
Also, have folks here successfully used Conexant softmodems with Linuxant's drivers and Mandriva? I have a Conexant modem and Linuxant driver, and this will be the third distro I've tried; I have NEVER been able to get the modem to work. (ELX installs the driver, but pppd reboots the computer on connect; ALT installs the wrong driver and it's then impossible to install the correct one.)
download Mandriva / modem issue
I am no expert, but first post is correct. download version does not have some plugins that are common for web browsing such as shockwave or Java plugins. However you can dload and install yourself. (It's not too bad). By making a purchase, you are helping the opensource cause, but do NOT expect to get cadillac svc in return for your money. I would look at it as more of a philanthropic donation.
As for for the modem issue:
Go LAN to DSL
If not possible, go dialup but first:
1. check your ISP to see if they are linux friendly (AOL and walmartconnect were not without a special dialer)
2. Stay away from internal PCI modems WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE LINUX COMPATIBLE. Both types require drivers. Wait till you have some experience with linux. Some people will tell you that it is a good way to learn linux commands such as:
make,install, chmod, urpmi <packagename>, urpmi kernel-source, but.........
It is more likely teach you how to kick the dog or yell at the little old lady across the street. Asking a n00b to do a softmodem install is like giving a fiddle to your plumber and asking him/her to perform the Brahms violin Concerto in D....... WITHOUT the music....... and then being surprised when they instead, find a way to perform hi-speed, non-gentle insertion of the the violin AND a 16 inch pipe wrench into your trailing orifice..............sideways...........while the violin is on fire. It is not appropriate for the learning curve.
3. Go with external serial port hardware modems - they are generally faster than many PCI modems
4. They can be had for $5 or less at local thrift shops.
5. If you want new - google for BestData or US Robotics ($20-$100)
Re: download Mandriva / modem issue
Yes, that's right! Serial port hardware modems are very cheap now. In the UK a good one costs about £8 which is a lot cheaper than a night out on the town. About the cost of a really cheap deep pan pizza.
Originally Posted by Trio3b
Another point. It's often assumed that Windows users don't have hardware problems as well. They do! :wink: