Wireless config-override rausb0 Win driver on Belkin F5D7050 dongle using ndiswrapper
Mandriva 2007.0 distro, new installation.
Trying to connect working Belkin F5D7050 usb dongle to home wireless.
Specs on dongle and proposed linux connection configs:
I tried an install through the Mandrake gui, which (not surprisingly) didn't work. As alternative I selected the ndiswrapper option, and so far it's been fairly smooth. I installed ndiswrapper, got the Win drivers from the vendor cd, installed the "wireless tools" utility. No problems to that point:
---confirmed valid ndiswrapper and driver installation:
[root@localhost martin]# ndiswrapper -l
rt73 driver installed, hardware present
---verified presence on usb port:
[root@localhost martin]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 050d:705a Belkin Components
---Problem - see iwconfig query below, re. "rausb0 RT2500USB." System is pulling in an incorrect Win driver that's also identified with Belkin 70xx dongles. First of all, I don't know where this driver is coming from. It may be a leftover from my attempt to configure the card through the Mandriva MCC. But, it's obviously blocking the correct rt73 ndiswrapper driver from binding to the dongle.
[root@localhost martin]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
sit0 no wireless extensions.
rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-120 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
In any case, I need to get the usb config'd to bind to the rt73.inf driver that's configured correctly in ndiswrapper, and override whatever process is calling and using the rt2500 driver. I'd prefer a process that doesn't require running a console script every time I want to insert the dongle.
I found a Ubuntu forum thread that posed exactly the same problem on exactly the same device, and a working solution. See:
I understand the problem he describes, since it's mine exactly. Happily he figured out a solution. However, I'm new enough to this process that I can't interpret the user's fix, or how to apply it in my environment. A boot-time blacklist of that driver would seem to be the right direction, but I don't know how to configure it, or if that will even fix the problem. I assume there is a runtime configuration process activated (as usual with usb) just as the usb device is inserted. I have a basic grasp of linux commands, but I don't work extensively in a console. A bit of hand-holding may be in order.