Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am about to install this distro that I feel is going to run well in my notebook, but I am stuck in the manual partitioning. Here's what I got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help during partitioning of Linux Mint

I am about to install this distro that I feel is going to run well in my notebook, but I am stuck in the manual partitioning. Here's what I got so far:

/dev/sda
    free space................100030 MB

It looks like Mint hasn't recognized Windows XP (as I am installing this distro with dual booting XP); however, I am probably wrong.

Could anyone tell me what do I need to do from this point?

I am planning to install Mint using 10GB.

Thx for your advice.

DC.

I would download the Gparted Live cd. Use it, or either Partition Magic from within Windows to resize Windows (smaller to make room for your Linux installation.)

But if I'm not mistaken, Mint/*buntu has gparted, or a similar partitioning utility already built in. You just go to "manual partitioning" during the install. I'd create from the empty space (created after resizing Windows) a root partition or "/." A home partition or "/home" and a swap partition, then let Mint install to those.

If you resize Windows, chances are the installer is going to see that partition as either sda1 or hda1. Whatever the case is, make absolutely sure you do two things. (1) DO NOT let Mint get installed to you Windows partition, and (2) Make sure you include Windows when configuring the Grub boot loader during installation.

Also, always thoroughly de-frag Windows before any resizing as files at the end of the Windows partition can and often do get amputated which can lead to serious data loss, an inability to boot Windows or both.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    G'day mate,

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    If you resize Windows, chances are the installer is going to see that partition as either sda1 or hda1. Whatever the case is, make absolutely sure you do two things. (1) DO NOT let Mint get installed to you Windows partition
    How do I stop Mint from doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    and (2) Make sure you include Windows when configuring the Grub boot loader during installation.

How do I do that?

Thnx.

I don't think Mint will... just know where Windows is, and make sure it doesn't get accidentally installed over. As far as adding Windows to the grub boot loader... somewhere during the install it will give you the boot loader options. Pay attention, and go slow and you will get it right when you get there.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here