Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, I'm trying to install a printer on Linux Mint and I am having a little trouble. I went to OpenPrinting (the site for Linux printing and stuff) and found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing a printer on Mint

Hey,
    I'm trying to install a printer on Linux Mint and I am having a little trouble. I went to OpenPrinting (the site for Linux printing and stuff) and found my printer (Epson Stylus Photo R260). I'm following it's instructions but find myself confused. The driver it recommends I download is "gutenprint" and I download it and it says to
    "Download the desired driver package. Take care of the system architecture (normal PCs are "x86 32 bit", most Macs are "Power PC"). If your browser opens a media player plug-in, click the "Back" button of the browser, right-click the link for the package, and choose "Save as...".

then:

* If you have a non-RPM-based distribution (Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, ...), convert the downloaded driver package(s) with alien (the packages are provided as RPM packages). Do (On Ubuntu, preceed the command by "sudo", on other distributions, run it as root):

alien --scripts <name of the downloaded RPM package>"

and I do it but it says the file cannot be found.

Can anyone help me out real quick with a suggestion on where I should save the driver too and how to follow the instructions?

oz
    forum.guy
    You should be able to find the gutenprint package in the Mint repositories and install it from there. You are much less likely to mess up your system by doing that. In fact, it might come installed in Mint by default, but I'm not sure.
    oz

Okay... where would I find it if it is pre-installed and could I just D/L it using the Package Manager if it isn't pre-installed?

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never used Mint, so I might be wrong about this, but let me look around on the Mint site a bit and see if there is a gutenprint package made for it already, or some other way to get it. I'd be very surprised if there's not one.

Are you running Gnome?

If so, go to your web browser and enter localhost:631 in the location bar and try to set up your printer from there.
    oz

Thanks man, I'll see if i can find it on Package Manager. Sorry for all the bother, just a bit overwhelmed with the new OS and all. >,<

oz
    forum.guy
    Ok, from what I've read, it appears that Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories so you should be able to get the gutenprint package from there, which should work for you far easier and probably better than an RPM package will. Also, don't forget the web browser printer setup tip posted above.
    oz

Alright I'm using the Local Host thing and um... should I use the normal or simplified version of GutenPrint?\

EDIT: I mean is there a real difference?

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not sure what the simplified is, so I'd go with the normal version.
    oz

Alright, thanks

Okay, I went through and set everything but all the jobs i send wont go through and all the lights are still flashing on my printer saying its not connected. Blerg!

EDIT: It's saying "Printer busy, will retry in 5 seconds..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast