Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got Linux Mint running after about a year with WinXP (I had to switch back to WinXP from Ubuntu for work)... I recently built a new PC, ASUS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't detect videocard Gigabyte ATI HD on Linux Mint

I just got Linux Mint running after about a year with WinXP (I had to switch back to WinXP from Ubuntu for work)... I recently built a new PC, ASUS M2V-MX SE Mainboard, and a nice(in Windows anyway) videocard... Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT on a PCIe slot. I can't seem to get this card to work, be detected or anything in Linux no matter which distro I use. Everytime I select Radeon from the graphics card list and hit test my screen gets distorted and repeats about 5 times over the width of the screen and is unusable. At one point it remained this way after booting and I had to re-install Mint.

Any help will be appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Have you tried Fedora?

You'll still need to install the ATI drivers after installation, but you should get a usable display till then.

I have an HD2600 hopefully they're similar.

Just Joined!
    I've tried Fedora (back in 2001 as my first linux distro), problem is my company is switching over to working with Blender and most of the staff are being told to use Linux Mint, broblem is unlike them I didn't get a company computer cause I had built my own. As such I am not eligible for tech support fromt he company.

I'd rather stay with Linux Mint, I'll switch but only as a last resort.
    Last edited by moteh; 03-09-2008 at 03:04 AM. Reason: clarification

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close