Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Shaman is still a release candidate as far as I know but Arch will likely never have an officially supported front end to pacman. And long may it stay that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Shaman is still a release candidate as far as I know but Arch will likely never have an officially supported front end to pacman.
    And long may it stay that way!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Hi Manchunian ... nice to see your still enjoying Arch!

Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    pacman -Syu (to do a complete system upgrade, a command I run everyday).
    I was doing something fairly similar ... but came across this, the script works ... I'll try it out for a while

Hi Jonathan!

Yes, I'm still enjoying Arch...and life more generally! Haven't been cycling for a while - no time. I've been away from this place for a couple of months - same reason.
    I think your link is a good one. Yesterday, for example, after I'd done pacman -Syu, I had a wacky keyboard problem: it got fixed on the wrong French layout, making it impossible for me to use certain keys, whilst Gdm reverted to a US keyboard. Nothing had changed in either xorg.conf or rc.conf. Two different keyboard sets, and both of them wrong. I found the solution after a bit of work (but I'm yet to resolve why I can't suspend to disk anymore), but it does show some of the problems you can get with a rolling release distro. Nevertheless, I reckon rolling release is better than 6 month upgrades. You may get the occasional problem, but they're usually minor, and chances are someone else has experienced them too and so the solution can be found rapidly.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2