Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys. it's me ..... again. My ultimate goal is to get my other computer booting up. It did have Windows XP (ack, I know!), however, I am attempting to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Burn .img file within Mint?

Hey guys. it's me ..... again.

My ultimate goal is to get my other computer booting up. It did have Windows XP (ack, I know!), however, I am attempting to get into it, to install one of Linux's wonderful distros.

I get the non-systems disk error, when I attempt a boot. Basically, BIOS sees the hdd, but I guess it's missing files, or just corrupt, whatever.

Here is the question: I have the .img files for XP, but I am unsure (And yes, I have done some research) on how exactly , if possible, to burn to a usb, as to boot from it.

Anyone know what I mean?

I will , of course, continue to look for a way, but could use some pointers.

Thanks in advance. =)

p.s. I hope this is the correct place to post this, and would appreciate it , if gets moved, to be told where it is moved.

Just Joined!
    *bump*

argh. welp, i am back to doing some more research.

Linux Guru
    You can't boot XP from USB to my knowledge, it is not designed to work in that manner. Windows 7 is implementing something along these lines but I haven't tried it yet.

Have a look at BartPE which I think will be something along the lines of what you need. Alternatively you could just go the old root and burn to CD using K3b to boot from CD.

Just Joined!
    thank you for the tip, tom. but I'm currently running Mint, not windows. I was looking for something I could use with Linux.

I did go out and get some blank cd-rs , you think I should be able to burn the .img files and just boot from them?

Just Joined!
    ugh. forget it. I got what I needed, but I can't do anything with any of my hdds, all 3. Two of 'em are seen by bios, but thats as far as it goes. I can't replace the files to boot, because I can't get into dos.

how infuriating.