Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying out linux, in this case Mint 6, which I understand to be a cuter Ubuntu with good stuff included and enabled. So anyway, it installed without a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Linux Mint 6] update and ATI driver problems

Hi, I'm trying out linux, in this case Mint 6, which I understand to be a cuter Ubuntu with good stuff included and enabled.

So anyway, it installed without a hitch - fast, too! But then, after testing network connectivity and a web browser (one of the first things I tend to do with a newly installed OS), I decided to check out the available updates. Seemed like a good idea - again,. one of the first things I'll do (e.g., with Windows).

The first thing that caught my eye though was the proprietary set of drivers for my ATI HD4850 - so I went for this before general updates, mainly because I want to see what a prettied up Linux Mint might look like, the responsiveness is horrible at the moment, and the available resolution and refresh options are not to my taste. My eyes are not liking the current setup. Yes, I know I can change the screen resolution, by the way. But not to my preferred res. And yes, the card and monitor are capable of producing that res. At 75Hz, not 60Hz, what's more.

But the ATI driver setup, though it said it was downloading and installing (and was downloading something, evidently), ended up doing nothing. I clicked on 'Activate'. Nothing. Tried again just for good measure. Nothing.

So I did the general updates (130 odd). That seemed to be going fine, but the installation process died: corrupt files, possibly corrupt filesystem even. Something like that. But in the end, it said the computer was up to date. Still does. Right, so I then tried the ATI driver setup process again, and again had no luck.

What am I doing wrong, or what have I done wrong? I can't think of anything so far, because well, I haven't done very much of anything! The general updates thing worries me a bit more than the ATI thing, to be honest. Until now, I haven't had a single hardware issue - hope one hasn't just suddenly cropped up.

Or is there, for example, a widespread problem with Ubuntu/Mint/Linux and ATI 48xx cards?

Hi and Welcome !

Lets check if X Server using correct driver. Execute this
    Code:
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.

Execute this too :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean all
    sudo apt-get update
    Do any command throw error?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Post output here.
    Done.

Do any command throw error?
    Yes, the latter, assuming 'W' indicates a warning:
    Code:
    W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used.GPG error: http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid-security/Release  

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    The last line is quite amusing, given that that is the very command that resulted in such advice.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list file here.
    The last line is quite amusing, given that that is the very command that resulted in such advice.
    Sometimes package managers do that to amuse us.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First