Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed linux mint 6 xfce on a friend's computer, he is tring to use an sd card, when he puts it in the card slot, it appears as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Linux Mint - using SD card

I have installed linux mint 6 xfce on a friend's computer, he is tring to use an sd card, when he puts it in the card slot, it appears as /dev/sdc1 but doesnt get mounted in the dev folder, sdc1 has a cross over it's icon. How can I mount sdc1 in order to move files?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by petehandy View Post
    I have installed linux mint 6 xfce on a friend's computer, he is tring to use an sd card, when he puts it in the card slot, it appears as /dev/sdc1 but doesnt get mounted in the dev folder, sdc1 has a cross over it's icon. How can I mount sdc1 in order to move files?
    The drivers don't automount SD cards unless you put them in a USB adapter first. You will have to mount them manually, using an established mount point, such as /media/mysdcard: sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/mysdcard ---- just make sure you have created the directory /media/mysdcard first. It doesn't have to be in /media. It can be in the user's directory space, but you will have to mount it as root, hence the 'sudo' command. It may just be a lot simpler to purchase a $5 usb-flash adapter instead... I have a bunch of them myself for just this purpose. In fact, I don't bother with USB thumb drives any longer. I just get SD or micro-sd cards and put them in an adapter - voila!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks rubberman, that will be helpful, Havent tried it yet, but I'm sure one of your solutions will work for me.