Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, complete newbie here. I've done ubuntu before, but new to mint... So I had Vista, created a Mint 6 XFCE liveboot USB... worked great... went ahead to install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint 6 XFCE Install Problems

Hello all, complete newbie here. I've done ubuntu before, but new to mint...
    So I had Vista, created a Mint 6 XFCE liveboot USB... worked great... went ahead to install, did partition and everything...

Now, turning on computer to access Mint for first time, and I get:

Starting up...
    [0.349402] ACPI: Aborted because junk in gzipped archive.
    [2.972023] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

This is on my laptop, Acer Aspire 4530.
    What do these errors mean? More importantly... how do I fix it?

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help.

Also, I've found this Mint wiki on the issue
    and thoroughly read through, but I'm very confused! I see that since I cannot boot (well I can in Vista but that's no help) then I need to run the live usb and edit something to do with UUID's... according to this wiki. Well, I want to be very careful so any suggestions? Can you translate this wiki solution into more basic terms?

I've also posted this here.

Hmm...

I burned a live cd, now installing... it's asking how do I want to partition the disk. I'd like to just burn over the old one, they are now called sda1 and sda5 (half on each of the 2)... but my only options are
    *Guided, resize SCSI1 (0,0,0), partition #3 (sda) and used freed space ---in this case, it's only letting me burn over sda3
    *Guided - use entire disk (don't want to do that...)
    or
    *Manual --- in which it says 100% over everything.

Is there another program for doing this? Or something I'm missing? Or do I have to undo the old partitions...
    I agree with the Mint people that reinstalling from a CD is probably the easier option at this point. As far as this goes, one, are you trying to Dual Boot with Vista, and if not, is there info on your hard drive you're looking to save? If no to both of those, just let Mint do it's thing and overwrite the whole disk.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I am dual booting and there's quite a bit I'd like to keep...

I created the live cd fine and installed (retried everything and it let me chose my partitions), now a whole new problem:

It loads the select screen, I choose linux mint, all clears and it goes to the linux mint loading screen, it all loads, then black with the circular loading cursor in the center... I watch the cursor for about 20 seconds then it disappears and a few lines of text flash, then it goes back to the cursor... It's been doing that for awhile now, I think it's safe to say nothings going to change.
    The text that flashes by says:

Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends
    Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
    Starting deferred execution command scheduler atd
    Starting periodic command scheduler cond
    Starting additional execution binary formats binfmt-support
    Checking Battery State...

or something like that.

I've found this ubuntu forum where a few people describe the exact problem, but no solutions.

My next step is to redownload the .iso and try it all over.

When it starts booting, press "ctrl+alt+F1" This should show you a console screen with all the boot messages. Perhaps you can see more about the error. From what I've found, it's probably an issue with your graphics card and it's failing to start the xserver. Do you know what your graphics card is?

Ideally, it may finish up and allow you to log into the console through this method as well. If you have an internet connection, you can download and install the right graphics driver at the console, or you should at least be able to get a working xorg.conf file using the vesa driver. I don't know if Mint 6 uses an xorg.conf file by default anymore or not. (The newer xserver can autoconfig things fairly well without in most cases.) If not, you can create one as follows
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    It's located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Just Joined!
    it's nVidia geforce 9100m g... and i'll try what you said and let you know! thanks

If you can log in to the console, you can download the official nvidia drivers from their website and run the install script. Linux Display Driver - x86

Are you familiar at all with navigating in the command line? Basics here: Moving around in the Linux file system

You can download the drivers as so
    Code:
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.29/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run

Just Joined!
    yes I can log in

Next question: My internet access is... limited, can I save the driver onto USB and run it from there inside the console?

And I'm vaguely aware but very new to command line nav. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Yes, you should be able to download it to a USB and run it from there. You might have to mount the usb drive by hand though, it probably won't automount in this case.