Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
I decided to go ahead and see what would happen if I left all drives connected and tried to reinstall Mint 7 on top of itself. The problem was that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I decided to go ahead and see what would happen if I left all drives connected and tried to reinstall Mint 7 on top of itself. The problem was that even though I selected manual partitioning and selected the same partition as I used before, it came back and said it was going to format 4 partitions, so evidently it was going to format the whole drive. I decided to quit the install. Jonathan, would you prefer I start a new thread?

Just Joined!
    After deleting the partitions in Windows Disk Management, Mint 7 reinstalled successfully. The only hitch was that somehow I ended up with two swap partitions. The Grub updated and added the option to the main drive. I guess the moral of this long thread is, "Have faith in Linux." If I had trusted it in the beginning, none of these problems would have happened in the first place. I wish M$ was as easy to get along with.

OK I think you have reached a point where you either:-

Mount each partition in turn and note what OS is installed ... check grub menu.lst for clues ... then delete and resize partitions

or

If you don't need any of the information on the Linux partitions, boot from the Ubuntu live CD and use the partitioner tool to remove all Linux partitions, including swap partitions and then set things up again the way you want.

If you want things to be setup automatically have all drives connected during the install process, with boot order set the way you want in BIOS. Make sure you select manual partitioning rather than allowing the installer to use the whole disk.

Both of the above approaches will work, and give you similar results in the end but resizing existing partitions can be quite time-consuming.

If you go down the partition resize/delete route keeping the installs you have at present then you need to modify /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst on each install. You will also need to reinstall grub to at least the first boot drive MBR.

btw I think you are making things more complicated than you need to by having a separate boot partition. I'd start with a root (including /boot) plus a separate /home partition. Good luck

Just Joined!
    I had just got everything sorted out when I accidentally deleted the wrong volume inside Windows Vista (disk management). I had around 100 movies and a lot of downlaods in that volume. I thought that I was going to delete the volume that was now unallocated that I had formerly used for Mint 5. I've posted a message to a data recovery forum, hoping there's a reasonable solution. Thanks again so much for working with me this past couple of weeks.

You may want to try testdisk ... available on system recovery CDs, PartedMagic CD etc. I use PartedMagic for all partitioning jobs - has been very reliable.

Good luck with the data recovery ...

Just Joined!
    Jonathan,

Just to provide a happy ending to this thread, I just got all my data back. Thanks to Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org> who provides virtually instantaneous, no-charge, one-on-one support using his Testdisk software, which you mentioned to me. Wow!

Glad you got sorted .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5