Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so i'm completely new to linux in every way possible. I thought i would give linux a try since there was no reason not to. Usually i can pick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mint-8

Ok so i'm completely new to linux in every way possible. I thought i would give linux a try since there was no reason not to. Usually i can pick up on things and resolve them on my own but this isnt my usual. So i have installed mint 8 on my macbook pro. But i cant seen to get audio working or the backlight on the keyboard. Also my usb wifi adapter based on the rt3070 chip. Any help would be much appreciated. Below is some info on my mac it might be useful idk but i though i would include it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacX-Win7-Mint8 ~ $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b3)
    00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
    00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Device 0a98 (rev b1)
    00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
    00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
    00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
    00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)
    00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9400M] (rev b1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    04:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW643 PCI Express1394b Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 07)

Howdy and Welcome. I might suggest that you tackle one problem at a time.

Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver

That link is to the Broadcom downloads page where you can get the Broadcom STA driver for Linux, for your Broadcom 4322 device. There are instructions included from that link and/or with the driver download.

I am not a wireless expert . You would be better served if you first followed these Instructions and just post your wireless query here.

Good Luck with it. I don't run a Mac (or Mint 8 for that matter) so I can't be of much help to you.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lochtefeldm View Post
    Also my usb wifi adapter based on the rt3070 chip. Any help would be much appreciated.
    I can give you relativley easy way out!

USB wifi works out of the box in Mint7, so download it. Try it live and youll notice that it just works. In Mint8 something has gone bad so its not easy to configure usb wifi.

You can freely install updates. All will work fine! Good luck!

Whether a USB wifi adapter works depends on the chipset of the card, just like any other wireless device.

Please plug in your USB adapter and post the output of
    Code:
    lsusb
    For the broadcom pci card, you do not need to compile the source on your own. Get a wired connection and Mint should offer a popup to install the restricted driver. Otherwise do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Sound can be harder to troubleshoot. Here is a place to start.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

For sound, try this
    Code:
    echo "options snd_hda_intel model=intel-mac-auto" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
    and restart.