Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Linuxmint - 8 helena, kernel Linux 2.6.31-14 generic, Gnome 2.28.1 installed. It worked reasonably well for a few months then one day the mouse started malfunctioning. When you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boots to terminal and won't allow login

I have Linuxmint - 8 helena, kernel Linux 2.6.31-14 generic, Gnome 2.28.1 installed. It worked reasonably well for a few months then one day the mouse started malfunctioning. When you moved the mouse the cursor would zip around all over, pop up here and there, no control over it's movements. It would also pop up little windows as if you pressed the right mouse button and would make apps open up as if I had selected them. I finally got it to the start button and got it to restart. Once it did it now loads up to the green background as if loading the desktop, bit that's it. No icons or anything except a terminal window with drawings of reindeer or something, along with sensless remarks. I don't know what they are. That would be ok if it would let me access anything, but when I try and use the su or other commands to try and startx or something like that as someone told me to, it says I don't have permission. So I am stuck with the terminal window that won't do anything. I have 2 other accounts on the computer that were never used yet, so I thought I could access something through one of them, but once logged into them I am still denied access to make any chamges or initiate any commands in the terminal windows. The mouse and all the keyboard keys are functioning normally now, it's just that the main account I always used just loads up to the funny terminal window, and the other accounts load normally but deny me access to most software. I never made any changes to the system, it just happened after the one time the system went wild with the mouse.

I could easily just reinstall, but I had family vacation pics and vids on there and would love to access them to copy them off first. I used a live cd to access the drive and the vids were there one second then disappeared. I'm not sure what would cause this behavior since I've heard it probably isn't a virus as in windows.

Another thing I noticed is that when I run the system monitor it says the cpu is running between 80 and 100 percent for over a minute or two at a time with a dip to about 50 percent for about 10 seconds at a time. That's with nothing open, just the monitor software. I have an AMD Athlon XP 1500+ with 1.5 GB memory and a 2 GB swap file. Although the system info in Linuxmint says it's 1.2 GB memory. I just noticed that if I click the middle buuton at the upper top corner of the monitor window and it's size is reduced on the desktop the cpu usage drops instantly to 20 percent, although that may not have anything to do with the other problem with losing access to the use of my main account, that may be why the comp always seems slow, maybe any window overloads the system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Linuxmint - 8 helena
    kernel Linux 2.6.31-14 generic
    Gnome 2.28.1
    Memory = 1.2 GiB
    Processor = AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Thank you

Linda

Did you upgrade Mint recently? Which Graphics Card do you have?
    Is Graphics/display work fine for other Users? Users other than one created during install, don't have permission to execute administrative commands. Press Alt+Ctrl+F4 at login screen. It will switch to Command Line mode. Try to login as main user. Check if it allows main user to log in.

You can mount / partition using LiveCD and backup data easily. Post the output of sudo fdisk -l command.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    No, I never upgraded, it was installed as 8 from the start. I was in fact going to do a clean install of the new version in the next day or so but wanted to get my files off of here first. I used a live disk to access the drive to move the files I wanted, I saw them in a folder, I clicked out of it to make a new folder, then when I went back to the folder with the files they were just gone, I have no idea where they went. I'm hoping if I can fix what ever happened to prevent me from logging in that they might be accessible then.

The graphics card is a GeForce2 MM/MX 400. It's worked fine with linux and windows so far. I have 3 user accounts, the main one that will only boot to the small terminal and the other two which really were never used. The other two still boot fine, as I am in one of them now using the browser to get in here.

When I restarted and logged into the main account, it sent me to the green background as usual with the small terminal window with the animals. I typed what you said to type and it went to a full black screen and I tried to log in there. It was the same result, it took my ID and password, but stayed in the terminal just as it does with the smaller terminal. If I try and issue any commands it asks for the password again, then always says it's incorrect. But it lets me login as the user with that same password. I tried typing the startx like someone told me to see if it did anything new, and it gave this message >>>>> Fatal server error: server is already active for display 0, if this server is no longer running, remove /TMP/.X0-Lock and start again.

The output of the command you said to use, sudo fdisk -l command, is this.

"Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 4620 37110118+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 4621 4865 1967962+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 4621 4865 1967931+ 82 Linux Swap/Solaris

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can only give you what I would do in your situation, okay?
    I would boot up the machine with a LiveCD like puppy linux, mount the partitions or devices where data exists I wish to backup, back them up on my external USB device, then sit back with a sigh of relief on my breath and a smile on my face.
    Next, I would kick Helena to the curb and install Isadora LXDE, if I wished to stay with Mint, or PCLXDE if i just wanted a quick and fun OS with lots of support (like Mint) and didn't mind a distro from TX.
    I would first prepare the hard drive (HDD) with SystemRecueCD 1.3.4 before reinstalling. Version 1.3.4 because it has utilities like "dban" and "gparted" and others I find useful, whereas newer versions don't seem to have the former (which wipes the HDD with zeros for a Clean Install).
    Freedom of choice is what Linux is about, but a little info helps. Hope this did, Lindanfl.

Just Joined!

Mint 8 not booting

If when you installed Mint 8 you created a separate home partition you can reinstall but make sure you do not format your home partition and your information will remain intact.

/dev/sda1 * 1 4620 37110118+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 4621 4865 1967962+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 4621 4865 1967931+ 82 Linux Swap/Solaris
    Boot up from LiveCD and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda1
    sudo mkdir /media/temp
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/temp
    Press Alt+F2 and type this
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    It will open Nautilus with root privileges. Navigate to /media/temp/hone/main_user folder and backup data to External Disk or USB Stick.

Execute this after backing up data :
    Code:
    cd /media/temp/home/main_user
    sudo rm -rf .gconfd .gnome2 .gnome
    Reboot machine and check main user works fine.

Thank you, devils caspar, i learned something from that !

Just Joined!
    Casper > Well, I tried what you told me and I had mixed results. The Nautilus couldn't see any of the user folders for some reason, it may have just been me though, but I was able to use the computer link that opened up a windows like file browser that did see them. The only problem was that a lot of them still said I didn't have permission to read them or move them. I managed to get what I hope are all of my most important files. The thing I can't seem to figure out is how to get my firefox bookmarks and opera bookmarks, that's about all I really need. Since it still won't boot into my main account I can't open up the browser to export them. In windows I could find the files and copy them, but I'm still not very good at finding files in linux yet. I'd love to find out to do that. Thank you so much for what you've helped me with, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

After that I feel fortunate that I could recover what I have so far, and will just re-install with the newest version of mint.

Thank you again,

Just Joined!
    Zen > Thanks, I'm going to do that as soon as I try a little more to find my browser bookmark files.
    Yen > Is it true like I heard that I won't have to worry about losing " ANY " files at all? If not would you know what type files if any I would have to save from the root partition before re-installing over the old linux install, if I have to do this again, which I hope not? Sounds too easy, but if that's true that is what I will do. I don't want to go through this again.

Thanks

Mount /dev/sda1 partition again and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda1
    sudo mkdir /media/temp
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/temp
    cd /media/temp/home
    ls -l
    Post output here.