Find the answer to your Linux question:
been using mint 8 for 3 months, really like it, but today went to do the standard updates, and when i re-booted--now it's just plain ubuntu ? is that what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

did mint 8 die ?

been using mint 8 for 3 months, really like it, but today went to do the standard updates, and when i re-booted--now it's just plain ubuntu ? is that what happens when a distro stops getting support ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    been using mint 8 for 3 months, really like it, but today went to do the standard updates, and when i re-booted--now it's just plain ubuntu ? is that what happens when a distro stops getting support ?
    I'm not sure what you mean by Mint "dying." The latest version is Version 9 "Isadora".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    ???
    Did you leave an Ubuntu CD in the drive when you rebooted? Mint should look like Mint, not Ubuntu. Even when Mint 8 dies off and support stops, it should still look like Mint.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    nope absolutly not, I didn't even own a ubuntu c.d , this was mint 8, and all I did was click the " updates" icon, and now i have ubununtu, no trace of mint any where on my desktop, really weird, as I had mint 7 on here before that, and I know mint is up to 9 now, but I always stay at lesast 6 months behind, to avoid " buggyness". weirdness!

You kidding me, if not then you sure had scared me. I'm using Mint 9 at the moment but it's just for kids, full of small small glitches .

Just Joined!
    Did you change any of the software sources before rebooting? What were you doing before you rebooted?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
    You kidding me, if not then you sure had scared me. I'm using Mint 9 at the moment but it's just for kids, full of small small glitches .
    Such as? I noticed no problems with my install of Mint 9.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Such as? I noticed no problems with my install of Mint 9.
    Captain,

My Mint 9 + gnome box had been wonderful by most of the means, though a few irritating problems I couldn't sort out.
    The one I had discussed with rokytnji in other thread, was mouse pointer freeze whenever I lock the screen for while. After unlocking and pressing Fn+F8 keys, it still didn't use to work. The suggested workaround by him, didn't work on grub2 settings .

Other was monitor going to sleep after indefinite time, even when every setting in power management and screen saver had been checked.

And most annoying one was, gnome crashing randomly. The panel just used to get broken into 2-3 pieces with blurred icons, leaving no other option except reboot.

Well, At this moment I'm fiddling with Slackware 13.1 to get my wireless up.