Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Windows 7 for a while now, and only windows before that. I recently downloaded and installed Linux Mint, and I've been using it for some weeks now, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    VMR
    Just Joined!

Dual booting and gaming?

I've been running Windows 7 for a while now, and only windows before that.
    I recently downloaded and installed Linux Mint, and I've been using it for some weeks now, but I can't get the "gaming urge" away, and I hate rebooting to be able to play, because I really love the Linux OS in every way.

The two operative systems are on two different HDD's.

My question is: I've got all the games installed on Windows, what program should I use to run them in Linux? I've heard that WINE can run windows programs from another harddisk, but is it the fastest and most powerful program to go with?
    Last edited by VMR; 10-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Hi and Welcome !

I would suggest you to check Wine FAQs. It doesn't run programs already installed in Windows OS. You have to install games in Linux using Wine but performance in questionable. Some games run fine and other don't. Check the list of supported games at Wine's website only.

I would suggest you to keep on dual booting and use Windows OS for gaming instead of using Wine in Linux.

Have you tried Linux native games instead of Windows based Games?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

VMR
    Just Joined!
    I haven't really tried any games for Linux, as I've seen screenshots of some, and they looked like the 1990's windows games

I installed Wine, and it was really easy to navigate through the windows harddisk and find the games I wanted to play. Took some time to configure it, but once it was done I had about 20 FPS ingame, which is great, but I didn't have any sound. I think I will be able to fix the sound soon though.

I think I'll change to windows for gaming sessions, and maybe use Linux for a few short matches with friends etc.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by VMR View Post
    I haven't really tried any games for Linux, as I've seen screenshots of some, and they looked like the 1990's windows games

I installed Wine, and it was really easy to navigate through the windows harddisk and find the games I wanted to play. Took some time to configure it, but once it was done I had about 20 FPS ingame, which is great, but I didn't have any sound. I think I will be able to fix the sound soon though.

I think I'll change to windows for gaming sessions, and maybe use Linux for a few short matches with friends etc.

Thanks for your help
    Try this just for funnies.
    Alien Arena Installation Guide | Ubu Community Magazine - The latest news about Ubuntu operating system
    Alien Arena rocks if you like FPS.
    Urban Terror
    Urban Terror, 'Nuff said!
    Free and Open Source First-person Shooter (FPS) Games | TechSource
    There ain't no 90's graphics here either. You'll need lots of RAM and a decent video card to play most of them. Sorta like Windows games.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Mike ! Thanx for the links. I have never played games not even on Windows platform. I am going to try a few on Ubuntu machine now.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

VMR
    Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for the links, Mike.

You bet guys, always a pleasure to find good games.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.