Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, When I boot up my system, it boots up normally after working for some time, it hangs and freezes showing some black and white vertical stripes blinking on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint 9 Freezes/Hangs

Hi,

When I boot up my system, it boots up normally after working for some time, it hangs and freezes showing some black and white vertical stripes blinking on a blank screen. I've tried rebooting the system using ALT+SysRq+REISUB for three times due to this problem.

I hope during the freeze that occurred for me, I was not able to access my mouse and keyboard (apart from hitting ALT+SysRq+REISUB ).

Application I'm working while facing the freeze: Firefox/Chromium with 5 Tabs, Rhythmbox, Nautilus.

Please refer the post in the linuxmint forum with subject "Mint 8 Helena hangs (total freeze) "

There seems to be a solution for linux mint 8 helena when faced with similar freezes and hangs in it and this resolution is mentioned in the first link I've provided.

Hence I've tried the following based on it:
    1. I did not install the kernel as Isadora itself comes with the kernel 2.6.32
    2. I added the repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
    3. Imported the appropriate GPG key successfully.
    4. Executed sudo apt-get update successgully
    5. However when I ran the command:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4

I get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4: Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.5.99.901) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    Could someone please help me resolve these issues?

Processor: P4 2.4 ghz
    Motherboard: D845 Motherboard
    RAM: 1 GB
    HDD: 40 GB HDD with 9 GB for Linux Mint
    OS: Dual boot (Win XP and Linux Mint 9 Isadora Gnome edition)

Try clearing everything first
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then try again.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Six days ago and no response? Oh, well . . .
    Why not
    PHP Code:
    apt-get build-dep pkgname 
    then istall pkg.

Quick and dirty.

Then, to remove the unneeded
    PHP Code:
    apt-get autoremove 
    ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    @MikeTbob
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried your method but it still shows the same error as mentioned in my previous post.

After importing the appropriate GPG key successfully, I gave the commands that you gave me in the terminal before executing "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4"

@zenwalker
    I gave the following command based on your reply

sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4
    It then downloaded and installed files even after this, this package is not installed. I have attached a jpg files where you can see this.

From package manager I can see that "xserver-xorg-core" package is installed although the package "xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4" shows some unmet dependencies.

Could you please help me in resolving this issue?

UPDATE: Today while running chrome or chromium I met this freeze problem thrice. I'm actually composing thispost thro' firefox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Firstly, did you follow the Moderator's, MikeTbob, recommendations? if so, then . . .

It seems to me that if, after first executing the < apt-get build-dep pkgname > and then the < apt-get -f install pkgname > commands in terminal as root (or using sudo correctly), unresolved dependencies still exist and are listed in Synaptic (as apparently the jpegs suggest -- I cannot discern them 100%), then these said unmet dependencies should first be double-checked against an independent source (i.e. say, against debian, salix os or another distro's documentation) for the package in question, then installed individually.

Any other recommendations from viewers with more experience?

Just Joined!
    @zenwalker
    I follwed MikeTbob's recommendation. I got the same result for his resolution as well. Only after that I tried your solution.

Well, try uploading your images to someplace like imageshack or photobucket and then link to it from here. They are too small to see, for these old eyes. We should be able to see those images and see what you got going on over there.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I think you'll find this is an upstream issue with Ubuntu.

I had the same problem on a couple of older machines when I tried to install Isadora Main. I ended up using Isadora XFCE on one, and Isadora LXDE on the other.

I still have this problem occassionally, but they are few and far between now. Both DE's are on my kids' Computers, and I have them shut down every night. Not because they have too, but because if I don't they wouldn't ever go to sleep

How much RAM do you have? Isadora Main recommends 512 MB, Isadora XFCE and LXDE only require 192 MB (Which would almost have to be 256 MB).

Good Luck,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave68; 12-16-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added Information (System Recommendations)

Just Joined!
    @Dave68 I have aroud 1 GB RAM and 1 GB of SWAP memory