Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I currently have ubuntu 10 10 as my os. I purchased a dvd with linux mint 9 kde so i could install that on my pc but after it boots ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bruce

I currently have ubuntu 10 10 as my os. I purchased a dvd with linux mint 9 kde so i could install that on my pc but after it boots it goes through a series of checks and stops at a command line. I have no idea what command to give it. When i installed ubuntu 10 10 it done everything automatically. PLEASE HELP!!

Linux Guru
    Linux Mint being based on Ubuntu means that if Ubuntu works, Mint should also work on the same system. It would be helpful if you could give us some specifications on the hardware you are using. It would also be helpful if you could give more detail on the "series of checks" you refer to. What specifically is it checking? What exactly do you see when you get to the command line? Is it a login prompt?

Just Joined!

Bruce

I am running ubuntu 10 10, but i want to install linux mint. It seems to start the install process only goes to a point where there is a dollar sign with a blinking __ and will not go any further. It wants a command whether it be a logon prompt or what, i don't know, i tried my logon username and password but that is not what it wants i guess. Like i said when i installed ubuntu it done it all automatically, however i used the entire disk to install it.

Just Joined!

Bruce

I don't know if you can see this but this is what it looks like when it stops /home/bruce/Pictures/2010/12/07/IMAG0023.JPG /home/bruce/Pictures/2010/12/07/IMAG0024.JPG

Just Joined!
    I am running ubuntu 10 10, but i want to install linux mint. It seems to start the install process only goes to a point where there is a dollar sign with a blinking __ and will not go any further. It wants a command whether it be a logon prompt or what, i don't know, i tried my logon username and password but that is not what it wants i guess. Like i said when i installed ubuntu it done it all automatically, however i used the entire disk to install it.

Linux Guru
    It seems to start the install process only goes to a point where there is a dollar sign with a blinking __ and will not go any further.
    Expect that is a login prompt. Don't know if there is a set user for the Mint CD and don't have one handy. You could try typing "sudo" or "sudo su" at the prompt (without quotes) and just hitting the enter key. If the prompt changes, you could try typing "startx" to get a GUI? You don't indicate where you got the CD? Ubuntu has an alternate install CD which I believe is text only, not sure if Mint has one also and that is what you have?

If the sudo or sudo su attemtps don't work, go to the Mint download page or forums to see if there is some default Mint username for the CD.

Just Joined!

Bruce

I really appreciate your help, however typing sudo or sudo su does work, just says command not found. I purchased the DVD from OS disk.com it says live install on it I typed statx and thought it was going to work, but then failed to fetch something.

Linux Guru
    I typed statx and thought it was going to work, but then failed to fetch something.
    I assume the above is a type and you actually typed "startx" (without quotes)?
    Do you ever see a screen similar to the one in the link below?

Installing Linux Mint - Page 1

The link above is a tutorial for installin Mint, although an older version.
    On the page below, is this where you selected Mint KDE:

OSDisc.com - Buy Linux Mint CDs and DVDs - New Releases. Low Prices.

Did you select the one that says: Platform: PC; or Platform: 64-bit PC?
    If you don't have a 64 bit computer, the 64 bit won't work. You could try contacting OSDisc for info. There is a help tab on the page above which goes to a page with contact info.

Just Joined!

Bruce

The DVD has PC on it and says in will run on x86 based systems including Intel Pent. and AMD Athion. Also what is strange is after going through the boot sequence, a strange quotation or question comes up and the command line under it. Every time i tried to install from this disk a new and different quotation comes up ! Very Strange, perhaps a clue?

Linux Guru
    In your initial post, you said the install seems to go through a series of checks before stopping. You never responded as to what those checks are, what do you see on the screen?

What exactly do you see at the prompt, on the line with the $ dollar sign?
    Also, you didn't answer did you type "startx" or "statx"??

With regard to the quotes at login, the only OS I know that does that is Slackware although there may be others?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast