Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I hope someone can help me. I have an HP G6000 laptop on which I have a dual-boot between Windows 7 and Mint 9. All was working fine until ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding a USB wireless NIC

Hi

I hope someone can help me. I have an HP G6000 laptop on which I have a dual-boot between Windows 7 and Mint 9. All was working fine until the built-in wireless NIC decided to pack up (think it's a loose connection as it did just start working again one day but then hasn't worked again since).

So, I bought myself a USB wireless, ensuring that it was listed on the box as Linux compatible.

Of course I wasn't expecting it to be THAT simple but I was hoping that Linux would at least recognise that it's there in the same way it did the built-in device when I installed Mint. It didn't.

So, there is a CD with a Linux folder with a load of files (including Makefiles) but I really don't know what to do with them and despite the promises I can't find any documentation. What can I say? I'm a Microsoft idiot who happens to like using Linux.

Googling for a solution only found some threads to fix the install AFTER trying NDISWrapper which, it seems, isn't the way to go.

So, could someone help me to install this, please? It'll be as if from scratch...that should make it easier! Right?

The NIC is an Asus USB-N13.

Linux Guru
    Read this. You might also need to blackliist your internal nic driver maybe as that can cause a conflict.

How to get it to work on Ubuntu 10.04:

Step 1:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules

Step 2 (add the follow text to the file and save):
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTR{idProduct}=="1784", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba rt2870sta"

Step 3:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf

Step 4 (add the follow text to the file then save):
    install rt2870sta /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "0b05 1784" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id
    If really wanting to proceed with the proper way of troubleshooting this and getting it working. Close this thread with thread tools at the top of first post.
    Follow these directions first before starting a new thread in This Section of LFO.

Good Luck, Rok