Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a new Hard Drive on an old pc that is to be converted to LinuxMint. Went through the motions of installing the OS, it appeared to work, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing LinuxMint/Hard drive not detected

This is a new Hard Drive on an old pc that is to be converted to LinuxMint. Went through the motions of installing the OS, it appeared to work, but upon restarting the HD was not detected, it states "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter:" Going through the BIOS the HD is just not listed. However, it did appear to install the OS, even downloaded the language package and a few other things. If I insert the DVD in and run the OS from there I can see the HD and all other drives. If I open the HD from the "Computer" icon these folders are listed, bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media and ten others.

So, guess my question is how can I get the system to recognize the drive upon boot-up?

This is a Pavilion 533w, the HD is a "Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive"

It came with the jumpers set for Cable Select, that didn't work so I tried the single and Dual Master positions, none worked. I never formatted the drive assuming it would happen automatically since the entire drive was to be allocated to this OS, but it didn't prompt me to do so.

those will still be there even on the livecd

most likely you are looking at the FS for the livecd, you will only see the fs of the hd if you mount it

most likely grub didn't install properly, see if you can use supergrub disk to boot linux OS

Just Joined!
    Thanx Coopstah,

Guess I should've mentioned I am new to Linux, what is supergrub and were can I get it? Also, keep in mind that, that pc doesn't yet have Linux so if it is a component of Linux, will it install by itself? Where do I find info on this? A quick search on this site for supergrub produces no useful results.
    Last edited by Eli030711; 12-11-2010 at 01:37 AM.

i should add, that you want to try just booting linux with it first, not install grub to mbr at all

in case this doesn't work, post back, should be able to fix grub using livecd