Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I just installed Linux Mint 10, and apache server. I'm working on a website and copied my files to /var/www. My problem is, when I navigate to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Apache downloads .php files instead of executing them

Hi all,

I just installed Linux Mint 10, and apache server.

I'm working on a website and copied my files to /var/www. My problem is, when I navigate to my website, the .php files are being downloaded rather than being executed. There are several forms on my site, and apache will display them since they are pure HTML files, but when I submit the form, the download begins ... so I know that the server is working properly, I just don't have php configured.

I have libapache2-mod-php5 installed already, I thought that was the problem, but unfortunately something else is preventing me from running php on my server.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    removed by moderator

Hello.
    I've deleted your other thread as a duplicate, which is against forum rules. Please continue in this thread only.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello.
    I've deleted your other thread as a duplicate, which is against forum rules. Please continue in this thread only.
    My apologies, I'm just under a time constraint and can't figure out what is wrong.

Oh, and glad to see you are still here! You helped me out a few years ago installing Ubuntu when I was still new to Linux. I remember you because you were very patient and helpful. Thanks!
    removed by moderator

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I just opened up my /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file, and it is blank. I'm assuming this is the problem?
    removed by moderator

Quote Originally Posted by flynismo View Post
    My apologies, I'm just under a time constraint and can't figure out what is wrong.
    That's okay, you can bump this thread in a little while with more info if you can. The more info you can supply, the better chance someone has at helping you fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynismo View Post
    Oh, and glad to see you are still here! You helped me out a few years ago installing Ubuntu when I was still new to Linux. I remember you because you were very patient and helpful. Thanks!
    Yep, I remember you too but it's been awhile. Glad to see you are still enjoying Linux. You also had to have patience too...it was a time consuming job but you got it going.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Linux Newbie
    Also, another strange problem I forgot to mention ...

I have phpMyAdmin installed, and it works fine.
    Also, when I run phpinfo() it displays the PHP configuration file.
    So apparently php is configured properly? If so, I'm not sure why it is still downloading my site's .php files rather than executing them.
    removed by moderator

Linux Newbie
    I apologize, I dont want to seem as if I'm needlessly bumping the thread, I'm just working on this right now and providing info as I come across it...

so, here's something else I just found.

One of the .php scripts I wrote simply collects basic system information about the visitor's computer (web browser, operating system, IP address, etc.) and redirects them to another page based on that info.
    I rewrote the script so that it would output the contents to the web browser, to see if the script is functioning. Sure enough, the script identified my system correctly.
    So it seems that this probably isn't a php issue but maybe a mysql issue, perhaps I need to install other modules (I already have PEAR and adodb installed ... going to try installing other stuff and will report my findings later on)
    removed by moderator

Linux Newbie
    okay guys, got it working.

Installed the packages libdb-mysql and the odbc packages, and problem solved.
    removed by moderator

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out. Good job.