Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to linux. I have and acer aspire laptop, and installed linux mint isadora on my D: drive. My c: drive is windows vista. Well the other day ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't get rid of GRUB!

I'm pretty new to linux. I have and acer aspire laptop, and installed linux mint isadora on my D: drive. My c: drive is windows vista. Well the other day i accidentally deleted my D: drive through vista. Now when i boot my computer, I get the message;

error: no such partition
    grub rescue>

I can't even boot into windows. My cd drive doesn't work, so i can't run a windows recovery disc. I tried to restore the computer with the alt + f10 method when the computer starts, but I just get the loud electronic beep. I have linux mint on a bootable usb, and I can boot to that when I change the BIOS, but that's all I can do. I'd like to just restore the whole thing back to factory settings and start all over. I just don't know how to go about it. Please help this noob out!!

Linux User
    I do not use 'mint' so not sure.
    Open a root terminal and type in 'testdisk'. It may not be part of mint.
    if 'testdisk' runs:
    first window-- no log
    2nd -- select hdd and proceed
    3rd window--intel
    4th --write MBR code then Yes couple times.
    then select quit several time and reboot to hdd.

You could at 4th window select analize and get your linux partition back and have it back to befor deleting it.
    do a google and find the main site and read the How-to use.

I'm not a guru, but most fubar's can be corrected by reinstalling. You say your mint live cd still works, so reinstall it on your "d" drive. This will reinstall grub for you and should solve your problem.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I'm not a guru, but most fubar's can be corrected by reinstalling. You say your mint live cd still works, so reinstall it on your "d" drive. This will reinstall grub for you and should solve your problem.
    I thought that I could do that, but it no longer gives me the option to install mint anymore, and I'm not sure of where I need to go to install it..

Quote Originally Posted by k2blader81 View Post
    I thought that I could do that, but it no longer gives me the option to install mint anymore, and I'm not sure of where I need to go to install it..
    Which version of Mint do you have on a pen drive - and can you remember how you put it on the pen drive? I use unetbootin to create the bootable pen drive ... works with Mint Debian an others ... just manually download the ISO and follow other distro method
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 01-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.