Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks to all! I finally found some spare time today to download Infrarecorder + the 32-bit-LinuxMint, ..followed by the burning of Linux Mint. I followed the above advices re: choosing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks to all!

I finally found some spare time today to download Infrarecorder + the 32-bit-LinuxMint,
    ..followed by the burning of Linux Mint.

I followed the above advices re: choosing to burn Image, and re: choosing the 32 bit, and re: choosing the minimal speed available (in this case it was 4x).

I also followed instructions I found on eHow re: burning linux mint to CD.

I burnt it via the CD/DVD drive of a used thinkpad, which I just bought. Browsing & googling via this laptop has been a huge nuisance due to its slowness, such as delayed response entering every character (because the seller had downloaded a zillion softwares, including games/music/etc. I'd never use, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's malware despite seller's assurances, and despite its resident McAffee claiming it's "clean".

aside from that:
    seller had password protected, meaning I need to type in a long cryptic password each time I restart this laptop.

My point is:
    ..therefore, I'm not sure I can run the demo on this laptop, since it requires restarting while CD is in the drive, and I'm not sure if the password requirement would interfere with the functionality of the demo.

It could have been interesting to see whether Linux Mint demo would operate faster & smoother than the SLOWWW-ness of this laptop the way it is now.

I may still return this laptop.

Hope to get back to this forum next time I find some spare time (sooner or later..

You should only need the password if you are booting into that operating system. If you boot into the live cd it will not be a factor.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    OK, here's an update:

I returned the aforesaid laptop, and then tried booting the Linux Mint CD in my Dell tower.
    Note that on my Dell tower, if I'd click Icons on the desktop, they wouldn't open - sorta like lots of stuff was frozen.
    ...anyway, the CD did not automatically boot via the Dell's CD drive, so I tried running the Installation option instead. With the result that it seemed to have installed the Linux files on the tower. Except the only EXE file I noticed was one which would "un-install" Linux-Mint.

So I gave up & decided the heck with it - I'll try removing the HDD from the Dell Tower & then trash the tower, since I ordered a similar refurb. Dell tower which is in transit. Problem is, neither of my crummy philips screw drivers were successful at removing the tight-screw that was on the underpart (between the rubber-bumpers). The screws which connected the HDD to the innards, I was able to remove, but the last one (which is identical to the others) I couldn't.

So I put that project on hold, and next I tried the Linux Mint CD on my thinkpad X31.
    Result: It booted perfectly on the X31, and I'm typing this post now via Linux Mint!

Due to the difference between Linux & Windows, it may take some getting used to.

For example, I'm trying to get my bearings & figure out the difference between:
    Menu (correlating to Windows' "Start")
    ...and:
    ...Computer
    ...Mint's Home
    ...IBM Pre-Load

But it's geniously programmed in that it's immediately usable & intuitive for dummies - that much I can say.

I can't say I'm totally a fan of FireFox, though. For example, when I try copying the post I made within this textbox to my clipboard...
    ...so when I scroll up, unlike with Explorer, the scrolling goes up way past the the top of the textbox - instead of stopping once it reaches the first character within this textbox. It's very annoying. There's other such nitty gritties which annoy me when using FF.

You could try chromium as a web browser ... I have used firefox for a few years now but it can be a bit slow on limited hardware. Chromium will be in the software repositories even if it is not installed by default. To install software you can use synaptic package manager (in administration menu), search for chromium, select it and apply changes ... and you should then find Chromium in the menu under internet. Use the package manager to install software in the repositories ... you should find most things you need - no need to download and install from websites

You may find you have to switch the Mint menu system from favourites mode to show all menu entries (you can switch between the two modes from the top right of the menu).

Linux binary files will not have a .exe extension, list the files in /usr/bin by typing
    Code:
    ls /usr/bin
    in a terminal to see

Just Joined!
    Chrome has it's own foibles - such as no print-preview & alot more.
    Frankly, if not for IE's slowness, it's otherwise the most user-friendly browser.
    And I'm not saying it cuz I like Microsoft - I detest that company.
    I'm just saying it as I experience it.

Meantime, I ran into a glitch when trying to install LinuxMint on my X31.
    At each page (during installation) I'd pick options - then click FORWARD.

But then...
    ...at the page entitled WHO ARE YOU (or something like that)
    ......which included choice of password options

it froze up, and the FORWARD button remained grey instead of clickable.

BTW, am I the only one who's annoyed by aforesaid Firefox foible (of not stopping at first character of text within textbox when dragging mouse to hilite contents of textbox in order to copy to clipboard?

.exe is a windows extension, not a linux one. Go into your boot order on start up, and change to boot from CD, then restart and you should boot into your live linux cd.
    Registered Linux user #526930

User friendly is very subjective ... I do not like IE and avoid using it when I can, I use a trackball so get better control over selecting things (I also tend to use the keyboard) so have not really noticed selection issues ... I'm not saying there are no selection issues - it's just that I don't remember having any

As for the X31 problem ... I'm not sure, I would have said check the system meets the minimum spec (especially memory) but you said in the previous post Mint was working well on it ... I would have expected issues running the live CD.

Other than that check the CD integrity ... I think its one of the boot options.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    User friendly is very subjective ... I do not like IE and avoid using it when I can, I use a trackball so get better control over selecting things (I also tend to use the keyboard) so have not really noticed selection issues ... I'm not saying there are no selection issues - it's just that I don't remember having any
    OK, I'm trying to clarify.

Let's say I want to scroll up within this textbox, to the very beginning of where it states: QUOTE = Jonathan etc., in order to
    ...copy/paste-->to-clipboard,
    ......the entire text to the very end.

What steps would you take to do this?

Re: Installing LinuxMint, is there any one-page printout somewhere to guide me exactly which option to choose at each step during installation process, for someone who just wants the basics - i.e. no gaming, rather just browsing, shopping on Amazon etc., listening to my music, and viewing demo video's on YouTube or online news video's.

Just Joined!
    The only thing that you need to boot into your Mint disc on your Dell is this: At startup, press & hold F2. There, you'll be given options as to what you want to boot to, your main drive, CD/DVD, etc. Scroll down to CD/DVD, open your player, put in your Mint disc, and press enter.

The disc will boot, and you're on your way to installing Mint. Don't forget to create your swap partition (equal to the size of your installed RAM).

As far as IE goes, it's a piece of crap. The most unsecure browser on the planet. If by chance you don't like FF, you can always download & install Opera, the GDebi installer will install it easily for you.

Cat

I'm assuming you have gone into quote ... then I use ctrl+home to go to start of box shift+ctrl+end to highlight the entire box contents. If I only want the first half, move the cursor to the last part of the text I want to copy then ctrl+shift+home to select the text ... then just use ctrl+c to copy, ctrl+v to paste etc.

Mint installation should be fairly straight forward ... make sure you have the partitions correctly selected and go through the normal install process. If you really don't want applications to be available then remove them after the install process is going to be easier.
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 02-27-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast