Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Peppermint Ice, and I'm new to any Mint distribution. I am trying to disable the Caps Lock key on startup. I've found the command to disable the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disable caps lock/rc.local

I am running Peppermint Ice, and I'm new to any Mint distribution.

I am trying to disable the Caps Lock key on startup. I've found the command to disable the key from this article. I tried modifing my .bashrc
    as he suggests, but I have to open a terminal before the command is executed.

So I did some reading, and I've modified my /etc/rc.local file to try and get the command to run at startup. It isn't working.

I can run the rc.local script manually, and the key gets disabled. So the script must not run at startup, which I cannot figure out why.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Debian/Ubuntu/Mint systems don't use rc.local.

Workaround is in the above link, or you can add the command to execute when your desktop starts. I think Peppermint Ice uses LXDE, which should have an autostart file at ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused by the article that you've linked to.

The file /etc/init.d/local that I am creating is only going to contain the one line: #!/bin/sh?
    Or I am supposed to add my commands to /etc/init.d/local instead of /etc/init.d/rc.local?

Thanks again.

The file will begin with
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    This is a little header indicating it's a shell script and which shell (in this case the bourne shell.)

Your script/command will follow
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"

Just Joined!
    That's what I was thinking. I was confused when he said to add a line to /etc/init.d/rc.local instead of /etc/init.d/local.

Thanks, I will try this out.

Just Joined!
    I got this warning, tried rebooting anyway, and it's not working

Code:
    update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/local missing LSB information
    update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>

Hmm. Seems like that documentation needs to be updated.

I think the easiest path is actually just to add your command to the startup file. Open up your file manager, hit CTRL+H to show hidden files, and see if you have the file .config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

If so, you should just be able to open it up, add your command, and save.

Just Joined!
    I didn't see ~.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart, but after some searching, I found /etc/xdg/lxsession/Peppermint_Ice/autostart.

I added the line @/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock", but the key is still active after I rebooted!