Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I started messing with computers back in the days of DOS2, long before Windows came out, so the command line is nothing new. Windows and Linux are certainly different, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I started messing with computers back in the days of DOS2, long before Windows came out, so the command line is nothing new. Windows and Linux are certainly different, but I'm not sure that it's harder to do things if you know both. Knowledge is always better than ignorance, IMO. I used to be fairly proficient at DOS batch file programming, long ago, and I think it may have helped me with bash scripting. The commands and syntax are different, but the basic concept is the same, it just takes some effort to learn the new syntax, and that's necessary if you use different programming languages. Going from Pascal to C takes learning new syntax, but the basic programming methods are the same. Learning what to do takes time and effort, but once you know what to do, learning a new way to do it is easier. Certainly, if you had started with Linux you would be further ahead, because you would have more time invested in learning the specifics, but I still think it was easier to learn Linux having prior knowledge of Windows.

Just Joined!
    What helped me the most from the beginning, was that Firefox was my main browser when I began to use Linux, although at that time, FF wasn't kept up to date as it is now. But having a familiar browser allowed me to get my feet wet. If one can use FF, or even Opera, that's a good starting point in learning Linux.

At first, my main issue was in deciding the right Linux for me. PCLinuxOS was originally suggested to me, being a newbie. But I had networking issues that I couldn't overcome, although many tried to assist me. At that time, I had Cricket Wireless (cell based) as my ISP.

So, it was suggested to try a variant of Ubuntu, either Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint. Many were steering me towards Mint, because it's simplicity, and excellent support through their forum. I tried all three, but Mint (Gloria) had that special look and feel, and that's what I've used since. Since then, I've upgraded versions of Mint, but found that 9 suits me best. Mint 10, I don't know, it's just not the same, plus it's a short release. I'd rather have a LTS OS, and not switch every 6 months.

And for the most part, haven't regretted it.

Cat

I was very reluctant to play with mint because it was based on Ubuntu and it came with non-free plugins (was I a romantic?) Now, older and less wiser (yes, less) I decided to be more pragmatic... I wanted to have a rolling release linux distribution with minimum effort (yes, I must confess: I use all those non-free plugins, I edit repositories to have java, flash, etc...) PCLinuxOS was fantastic until they had problems with the repositories... But now a rolling release Linux distribution based on Debian Testing with all those plugins pre-installed? I had to see that... I have never been able to install Debian and make it work properly but nowadays it doesn't make a difference to me whether I can or not install Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, Crux, etc. because all I want is an OS that just works (TM)
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Mint 9 Gnome was the best desktop for me so far, only one crash of task bar in a whole year. But it's spending some last days with me, I've got something I always wished - LMDE10

That's gonna be my new toy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
    Mint 9 Gnome was the best desktop for me so far, only one crash of task bar in a whole year. But it's spending some last days with me, I've got something I always wished - LMDE10

That's gonna be my new toy soon.
    You are in for a treat PrinceSharma.... It is so simple! So unbelivably simple!
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Cool, What I'm more interested in is, if any independent update / kernel update / security update breaks down something OR everything, hehe......I'm game for it.

Just Joined!
    I've yet to see that happen. Unless you're running in 'root', which isn't recommended, most Linux OS's are hard to break. The ones that I'm most familiar with, the Ubuntu based ones, are solid as a rock.

That's one of the reasons that I like Mint, is that it's simple to use (still working on the command line). Yet at the same time, very powerful, and easy on resources.

Cat

It is possible to get some minor borkage now and then, mostly with individual package dependencies, but I've seen no serious problems with either testing or unstable. The dependency problems are fixed within a few days. Much better than Ubuntu, IME.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    It is possible to get some minor borkage now and then, mostly with individual package dependencies, but I've seen no serious problems with either testing or unstable. The dependency problems are fixed within a few days. Much better than Ubuntu, IME.
    Thus far my box is happy happy... Only one thing: The package paraview was available at the box I use at my office (also Mint-Debian) but not on my box at home!

Repositories are the same, etc. etc.
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

If it's available on one computer but not the other, the repositories must be different, somehow, somewhere. From what I see, paraview is in the Squeeze main repository. I don't see it in Testing or Unstable, maybe I'm missing something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast