Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am impressed! Really impressed! I was looking for a rolling release distro and tried PCLinuxOS but after numerous problems with their repositories I decided to give Linux Mint Debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face Playing with Mint

I am impressed! Really impressed! I was looking for a rolling release distro and tried PCLinuxOS but after numerous problems with their repositories I decided to give Linux Mint Debian Edition a try... I am hooked.... Love this distro...

Only problem is with my wireless:

Code:
    daacosta@delio ~ $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    I don't know yet what to do... googling as I post...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

I'm pretty sure you only need the firmware for this to work...look for messages with
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i firmware
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I'm pretty sure you only need the firmware for this to work...look for messages with
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i firmware
    Thanks Mike,

Here is the output of the command you recommended:

Code:
    daacosta@delio ~ $ dmesg |grep -i firmware
    [    8.802887] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMLS, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
    [   31.536066] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/ucode5.fw
    [   31.563275] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43-open/ucode5.fw
    [   31.567303] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
    [   31.567407] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
    [   31.567503] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
    [   31.688079] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/ucode5.fw
    [   31.692937] b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43-open/ucode5.fw
    [   31.696867] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
    [   31.696970] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
    [   31.697066] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

And there you have it, from your output:
    You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Talking Problem solved...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    And there you have it, from your output:
    Thanks Mike, I decided to see if the driver was in the repositories by searching B43 and I was able to find it. I simply had to remember the chipset to install the right one... Now I am using my wireless connection to navigate...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

That's awesome news. Glad you got it working and thanks for posting the solution.

Red face

This is incredible! The repositories are enormous! I had been able to install the good, the bad and the ugly (codecs, mp3 support, adobe flash plugin, etc.) without having to edit any configuration file and messing with synaptic... I would have loved to have streamtuner2 instead of streamtuner but I shall wait to see if it is updated soon (I don' t want to install it from source)

* Well... I uninstalled streamtuner and installed streamtuner2 deb package... it was easy and it works so much better! *

Next task is to install a couple of things I use under wine... Hope there is no trouble...

* No luck installing keynote application... *
    Last edited by daacosta; 02-21-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Just Joined!
    Wine can be a little tricky to configure, or it was for me. The last time I tried playing with it, there were updating issues with Wine itself.

I believe that part of Wine's issues are related to the lack of donor support to the distro to fund it. That was reported on the Mint forum a year ago. Perhaps the reason being, that VM's are growing more popular by the day (VirtualBox works perfectly in Mint). If you need Windows, you can simply install it through VirtualBox and be done with it, provided you have a retail copy & COA# for whatever version of Windows you want to use.

As for me, I don't even try to mess with Wine anymore.

Cat

I've been running LMDE for several months, and I really like it. I had zero issues with wireles or anything else, it all just worked out of the box. I've sort of moved on from it, in a way, by changing my repositories to Sid instead of Testing (now Wheezy), for several reasons, but LMDE offers the easiest Debian install that I've found, to get started. I don't use some of the features, like the MintMenu, Software Manager, and Mint Backup, preferring other tools, but that's a personal preference. If you want to run Debian, specifically Testing, and want to get it working right away, LMDE is the best way to go that I know of. I previously used Ubuntu, and I haven't looked back since I abandoned it. I certainly don't plan to go back.

I don't have a spare Windows license, so wine is my preference. I only use it for one program, online poker, so installing a virtual machine and buying a Windows license would be way too much trouble and expense. YMMV.

Just Joined!
    I see where you're coming from. That's way too much money to spend on software for only one purpose. Plus Genuine Windows XP is getting hard to find, and costly. Not to mention those online sites (like eBay) that people get burned on.

I may try to play with Wine a little more myself. Still, the reason for the lack of better Wine support, is because of the lack of donors. The top people at Mint has appealed to it's users for support, well over a year ago, and reported that the cost of maintaining it was more than what's coming in. That's a huge issue, and one that may determine Wine's fate, if things doesn't turn around.

As for me, I wished that I had adapted to Mint, before I ever owned a Windows PC, learning is easier, when you never knew another brand of OS from the beginning.

Cat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast