Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my PC, I dualboot between Win 7 Pro & Mint 9 (both 64 bit) with no issues. I have things setup the way I want (thanks to the help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mint 4 win-any potential issues?

On my PC, I dualboot between Win 7 Pro & Mint 9 (both 64 bit) with no issues. I have things setup the way I want (thanks to the help here).

But the laptop is my wife's, and she prefers the XP Media Center edition, and that's her choice. For when we go places, I have Mint installed inside of Windows (mint 4 win), using only 10GB of her drive. Prior to the install, I fully backed up the laptop, as I had a very negative experience with my first install of Linux (Ubuntu, through Wubi). Using Ubuntu's "Computer Janitor", I screwed up my XP Pro install, to where it wouldn't boot (I had no backup). Ubuntu would still boot, despite the fact that it was within Windows. This is a similar install, different distro.

Other than doing anything foolish, like blindly using the Computer Janitor (which isn't in Mint anyway), will using Mint 4 Win do any harm to my wife's laptop? I realize that this type of install is for evaluation purposes, but I don't use it often, and just prefer my own OS to use.

Cat

Are you getting the two OS coming up under XP's 'bootstrap'? If yes, I can't see any issue. I had Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop using Wubi but then realised I needed the space for an XP application so I just uninstalled it in XP's control panel & the laptop went back the way it was before.

Mint 4 Win is, as far as I know, the same package as Wubi just with a few tweaks and a different name.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    I had no issues with installing it on the notebook computer, and it runs fine, but I tried installing it on a friend's Win 7 64 bit PC, it wouldn't go. After 3 attempts, and 3 removals, we gave up.

But the weirdest thing happened. He, like I, keeps a 'data' partition, on 7, just as I keep a 'home' partition on Mint 9. His 'data' partition was wiped out by this install. I'm a witness to it, it was working fine prior to the attempted (or should I say 'botched') install. He could no longer access his data, or even see the partition at all. The only warning that the installer gave was something about partitioning from the 'root' menu.

Fortunately for him, I suggested to him to create a backup, prior to me coming over, this bailed him out.

For this reason, I'm reluctant on attempting this an a 64 bit computer. I used both the 32 & 64 bit discs, same deal. It's not for everyone.

Cat

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'd report it that as a bug over at the Mint forums. The devs would surely appreciate it.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    That would be a good idea, thanks! Any bug needs reporting, the more users who reports, the better for all of us.

Being that I use the latest beta of FF on Windows, I've reported many bugs myself there. There's a 'feedback' shortcut on the toolbar.

I tried to install the FF 4.0 Beta on Mint 9, but I couldn't get it to go. It would be great if it would install through the GDebi manager (like the latest version of Opera), but that's not setup as of yet.

Cat