Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need help. i want to install mint and erase ubuntu10.10 (unstable) i am a noob to linux but good w/xp dos and osx. this old desktop crash/crash/crash. dvd plyr ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install mint and erase ubuntu

i need help. i want to install mint and erase ubuntu10.10 (unstable) i am a noob to linux but good w/xp dos and osx. this old desktop crash/crash/crash. dvd plyr won't work etc... no hardware probs...I have a xp comp and a usb stick(4g) help?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

You shouldn't need to erase Ubuntu. Instead, you can install Mint onto those same partitions. Check out UNetbootin for installing Linux Mint if your DVD player doesn't work:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    oz

Just Joined!
    Bret, welcome to the forum. I found Ubuntu 10.10 & Mint 10 to be a little unstable on my computers. So if you're having issues with Ubuntu 10.10, they may be the same on Mint 10, Mint 10 is based upon Ubuntu 10.10.

If you prefer Mint (as I do), Mint 9 may be a better choice, it's a LTS distro, and will be supported until sometime in 2013. Plus, it does run better for me, too.

Another thing you may want to consider is your formatting. I did some research before install, and formatting in ext3 may be preferable over ext4. This is documented on the Ubuntu site, it applies to both of the latest versions of Ubuntu, Mint, and other Ubuntu derivatives, such as Xubuntu. It's mainly a performance/stability issue.

Hopefully, this post is of some assistance to you.

Best of Luck,
    Cat

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No need to erase anything, as already stated. The installer will format the drive for you, then install Mint. I prefer Linux Mint Debian Edition to the Ubuntu variant, but that's a personal preference. It's more stable on my Asus, and I don't need to do a reinstall every time Ubuntu produces another not-ready-for-primetime release. LMDE is based on Debian Testing, which is a rolling release, with updates released as needed, not on a carved-in-stone 6-month cycle. Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, but it's even less stable because of the modifications they make. Regular Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    I agree with sgosnell, you don't have to erase anything. But when you select the format, which by chance does the erasing for you, ext3 is preferred over ext4. This is even in Ubuntu's documentation. For whatever reason, it's something about the software manager, it works better formatted as ext3.

And that's been my personal experience also.

Cat

I don't agree with that, preferring ext4. It's faster, especially if you add 'noatime' to the parameters in fstab, and I've had fewer glitches with ext4 than with ext3, and I started using ext4 when it was first available. But really, either filesystem will work.

oz
    forum.guy
    I stuck with ext3 on all my machines for many years and was very happy with it but switched to ext4 about 10 months ago. Doing so hasn't presented a single problem thus far, and ext4 is certainly much faster when it comes to filesystem checks, so based on that and assuming that things will continue to go well, it's unlikely that I'd ever go back to ext3. Either one would work fine for me in a pinch, though.
    oz

Just Joined!
    There may be one more consideration in regard to ext4, and it would only apply to those who may need a NTFS partition, in particular installing an OS as old as XP over it. Many times (this is also the the Ubuntu's docs) if you try to install older versions of Windows, it'll have a hard time formatting.

It took me 3 attempts to reinstall XP Media Center (for my wife) over a Mint 10 install with the ext4 format. I'm not an expert on hard drives, but Ubuntu starts with the first block of the drive (if that's where you install it), that's what I read about it.

Now, in these regards, it was a matter of computer sharing that was the real issue for me, in particular our notebook computer. It's my wife's, but I wanted my OS (Mint 9) on it, for when we go places. I prefer it's security, and not having the overhead of an AV, defragging, and so on.

In the end, I just went for Mint4Win, it uses 10GB of space, and it is formatted as ext4 (you have no choosing in the matter). For me, that particular install runs well. So I guess that I have to concede with the others who runs ext4, I've not had issues with it. I was just going according to the recommendations that's shows in the Mint guide, that shows every time you start, as long as you leave that option checked. There's lots of useful info there, and these links are what led me to the Ubuntu site.

Whatever works the best for each user, go for it.

Cat