Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux.. I haven't been able to watch or listen to anything on iPlayer. Every time, it starts to load, and then I get an error message saying: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't get BBC iPlayer + other video sites to work - Linux Mint 10 LXDE

I'm new to Linux..

I haven't been able to watch or listen to anything on iPlayer. Every time, it starts to load, and then I get an error message saying: content doesn't seem to be working right now, please try again later. ITV Player, 4oD, Channel 5, and TV YouTube videos don't work either (although normal YouTube videos work okay, and the adverts before the TV catch-up programmes work).

I'm running Linux Mint 10 LXDE. I have a very good Internet connection. I have to go through a university proxy, but iPlayer works fine for everyone else here. I've emptied the cache several times. I have a whole load of GStreamer stuff, VLC, MPlayer, Flash, Java, and Gecko Media Player, which gives me Quicktme, RealPlayer and WMP plugins in Firefox. I've tried in Chrome, Opera and Firefox. My firewall's switched off.

Does anyone know why I might be having problems? Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy8989 View Post
    I'm new to Linux..

I haven't been able to watch or listen to anything on iPlayer. Every time, it starts to load, and then I get an error message saying: content doesn't seem to be working right now, please try again later. ITV Player, 4oD, Channel 5, and TV YouTube videos don't work either (although normal YouTube videos work okay, and the adverts before the TV catch-up programmes work).

I'm running Linux Mint 10 LXDE. I have a very good Internet connection. I have to go through a university proxy, but iPlayer works fine for everyone else here. I've emptied the cache several times. I have a whole load of GStreamer stuff, VLC, MPlayer, Flash, Java, and Gecko Media Player, which gives me Quicktme, RealPlayer and WMP plugins in Firefox. I've tried in Chrome, Opera and Firefox. My firewall's switched off.

Does anyone know why I might be having problems? Thanks
    have you installed the restricted codex yet.

Netflix like problem...

There are some web content which require particular OS to run. For example NetFlix requires Windows and Mac. In order to run these on your Linux system you have to either:

1. Dual Boot

2. Run them within a virtual system.

I am not sure if this is your problem or not, but it may be...

Another possibility is the rather large change going on in the Browser arena right now with HTML 5 etc.

Have you run any of this on Linux before?
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close