Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK - I have just installed Mint Debian Edition on my dad's Laptop. I changed the repositories to squeeze (current debian stable) before the first update. I'm using apt-get update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Running Mint Debian Edition with Stable repositories

OK - I have just installed Mint Debian Edition on my dad's Laptop. I changed the repositories to squeeze (current debian stable) before the first update. I'm using apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to keep things up to date.

I wanted a system that is easy to use and administer ... for now I'm going with squeeze as there will be few updates but it will be security patched - so system breakage should be minimal. I think just pointing to stable rather than squeeze will probably result in a few problems when wheezy replaces squeeze as stable.

At some point (probably about 18 months time) the current stable debian squeeze will be replaced by wheezy. I'm thinking my best strategy is wait for a month or so after wheezy is stable, modify /etc/apt/source.list to point to wheezy and do an
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    My question:-
    Do the great and good think this is the best approach to migrate the system?

I'm running systems local to me with testing and happy to do that for those systems .... and fix the odd problem - but want to avoid doing this for remote systems.

I may not be one of those 'great and good' that you refer to, but it looks like a great setup.
    It seems to me that the only issue that might arise would be any possible breakage when switching over to the Wheezy repo. But, as that can happen anyways, That's a well thought out plan you have there.

Thanks FlintLock ... Debian look to be going to a 2 yearly release cycle so at least it will only be a pain every 2 years.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close