Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Awesome job and many thanks to Jonathan, you rock buddy. @OP: No the Chroot command is not like the CD command, see this link for an explanation on chroot. chroot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Awesome job and many thanks to Jonathan, you rock buddy.

@OP: No the Chroot command is not like the CD command, see this link for an explanation on chroot.
    chroot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A chroot on Unix operating systems is an operation that changes the apparent root directory for the current running process and its children. A program that is run in such a modified environment cannot name (and therefore normally not access) files outside the designated directory tree. The term "chroot" may refer to the chroot(2) system call or the chroot( wrapper program. The modified environment is called a "chroot jail" or (less commonly) a "chroot prison"
    Mostly used for using one system to boot into another.
    See this link for a useful reference to Linux commands.
    Useful Commands For The Linux Command Line | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    @MikeTbob
    @Jonathan183

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you both for all of your help.
    You guys have been awesome and I couldn't appreciate your help more!

This is the best Forum for Linux that I have ever been on and I am proud that I am a member.
    I get better, more accurate and useful information from this Forum than from any other Forum that I have visited.

I am going to reboot the computer now and see if the changes that we have made are of a permanent nature.

NOTE: I did check the MD5 sum and it is fine. I suspected that it would be because I downloaded the .iso with Transmission and burned it to disk using K3b and as I'm sure you are aware, both of these programs check the MD5 sum.

Thank you again guys-----
    I will post with the results after the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot56 View Post
    @Jonathan183
    Well my friend, your suggestion worked! At least as far as I have gone through the steps.
    I followed your initial suggestion to, 1. configure BIOS to boot from sdc first.
    Following this procedure I was able to boot into Linux Mint located on /dev/sdc.
    sounds like you have a system which is working, maybe all that was needed was changing BIOS boot order (so no need to re-run grub update or chroot).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Awesome job and many thanks to Jonathan, you rock buddy.
    thanks Mike ... any time you want to do the work and give me the glory let me know

Quote Originally Posted by patriot56 View Post
    @MikeTbob
    @Jonathan183

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you both for all of your help.
    You guys have been awesome and I couldn't appreciate your help more!

This is the best Forum for Linux that I have ever been on and I am proud that I am a member.
    I get better, more accurate and useful information from this Forum than from any other Forum that I have visited.
    Glad you have it sorted and enjoy your Linux Mint

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Forum

I just wanted to submit this update, but first........
    Kudos to MikeTbob and Jonathan183 for their priceless help.

Thank you Mike for all your help, patience and knowledge working through this issue with me. I learned a lot from you through this experience.

And a big thank you to Jonathan183 for jumping in and assisting Mike with additional support.
    Your ideas were "bang-on" mate. One day, I hope to be able support Linux the same way I learned to support Windows, and when I can come to a Forum like this, and get the kind of help that I experienced from you and Mike--well, it adds to my knowledge base and I get just that much closer.

As you might have suspected, I am up and running again.
    More than that though, I have installed two more Linux Distro.'s on separate partitions and I am in the process of creating an image of all of the partitions so that in the future, if something like this happens I can get back to a fully functioning system by simply, re-imaging the drives.

So, until next time, thank you both again.
    You guys did an awesome job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3