Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
good question. no just a personal box. I write php code and upload it to a remote server. so i guess a dev box, but also a beta tester for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

good question.
    no just a personal box. I write php code and upload it to a remote server. so i guess a dev box, but also a beta tester for mmo's (of course a little limited in nix but so far most are working fine thanks to wine)

also, while not imediate, when i was on windows, i was using tortise svn to upload my scripts.. so will probalby need a few opinions on how to accomplish this in linux.

thanks again.. you guys are great..

By the way: what are the contents of the /etc/apache2 ?

There might be apache2.conf or similar. Post the contents of the directory so we can see what conf file it is using.

Just Joined!
    well the above chmod worked (can't quote it due to the interpeter thinks im typing urls (which you cannot do until after 15 post )

that worked perfect. really all i need. now i can edit and create folders and view my page.. the only issue i have is subfolders are causeing and issue, so i can only assume that is a permission thing again. (i.e. it cant see my *.css stuff)

if you have some good references to read up permissions would be great

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_thom View Post
    By the way: what are the contents of the /etc/apache2 ?

There might be apache2.conf or similar. Post the contents of the directory so we can see what conf file it is using.

Code:
    apache2.conf
    conf.d
    dir.lst
    envvars
    httpd.conf
    magic
    mods-available
    mods-enabled
    ports.conf
    sites-available
    sites-enabled
    that? ( its the /etc/apache2 )

Just Joined!
    ok i think i got it working. the chmod/chown www did the trick and had to set the newly moved folder (fomr my win projects) to 777 THEN my css and scripts showed up!!

so linux is mostly about setting permsissions and groups/users?
    again if there is a good reading materila for this i would be greatly interested

Great! Yeah I would take a look at apache2.conf as it probably holds the main configuration.

I don't have any writeups on permissions that I recall, but here are a couple that look OK:
    Linux permissions
    Linux file permissions

As far as installing svn tools, if you're using Mint you might try KDESVN as it's KDE based.

You should try:

Code:
    apt-get install kdesvn
    Not sure that will work but most likely it will.

Linux Guru
    Most Linux systems with apache installed have a user:group apache:apache. I believe on Ubuntu and its derivatives like Mint, it is referred to as www-data. You should have a user and group called www-data after you install apache. I don't have Mint installed so I can't verify that. Whether it is www-data or apache, you will need your /www directory and its sub-directories set with that owner:group and permissions of 755 should work.

It isn't necessary to do it this way but usually is a lot easier.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you are using Mint Gnome, try rapidsvn. Not sure what it's like though but I'm guessing it's no Tortoise!

Code:
    sudo apt-get install rapidsvn
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I thought I'd add to the discussion with how I configure things so people can either like it or call me a muppet! Anyway, it works for me.

I create a directory off the root called sites (/sites)
    Code:
    cd /
    sudo -i
    mkdir sites
    I create group called web and add my user and www-data (I use LMDE so your user may vary) to that group
    Code:
    groupadd web
    useradd -G web elija
    useradd -G web www-data
    I change the owner of the directory so that I own it and the group is web
    Code:
    chown elija:web sites
    I set the permissions so that I have full access and the group has read + execute and everyone else has nothing
    Code:
    chmod 0750 sites
    Under /sites there will be a directory for each project I work on and for each of these I will create a vhost under /etc/apache2/sites-available which will be enabled using the a2ensite hostname command (which just creates a symlink under /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/). Additionally, each of these sub-directories is a repository that is checked out of subversion. I edit files directly in these directories and test there.

When I'm ready to release, I create a tag and then simply use the subversion client on the live server to update to that tag.

Now that I come to write it down, I probably don't need the group management section and can just change the ownership to elija:www-data
    Last edited by elija; 04-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2