Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks. I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 x64 and Linux Mint 10 x64. I have Windows on one HDD and Mint on another. Currently, when I start up I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

W7/Linux Mint dual boot upgrade

Hi folks.

I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 x64 and Linux Mint 10 x64. I have Windows on one HDD and Mint on another.
    Currently, when I start up I get Windows bootloader. The system will default to Windows unless I choose Mint.
    Mint 11 should be released anytime and I would like to do a clean install and replace Mint 10
    I'm a complete noob with Linux and I have a couple of question regarding this.

Firstly, the drive with Linux Mint on it is a 1 terabyte drive with an 709GB NTFS storage partition where I store backup media files.
    Also on this drive is a 48GB NTFS partition, marked -Healthy [Active, Primary Partition] and a 17GB NTFS partition marked -Healthy [Primary Partition]

There is also a 70GB partition plus a small 3.4GB partition, I believe this is my Linux Mint install as it does not show as NTFS when viewed in Windows Computer Management.
    I'll attach a snip of this as it's confusing.

Anyway. I don't really know why I have the 48GB and 17GB NTFS partitions but I suspect the 48GB may have held my previous Linux Mint 9 install.
    These two small partitions show as empty. They would be better amalgamated with my storage NTFS pertition. How can I achieve this? Delete Volume?

My primary concern though, is how do I do a fresh install of Linux Mint 11 when it is released?
    I am not concerned about losing my Mint 10 install as I have nothing in with it I need to keep.
    Can I just boot from the DVD and install on the 70GB partition? Will this mess up my Windows Boot?

Sorry if this is a bit muddled and thanks in advance, John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Guru
    Maybe it's just my computer, but the image you posted is totally greyed out and unreadable. It looks like something from windows is about all I can tell.

I would guess that your 709, 48, and 17GB partitions are primary and the 70GB is an Extended partition and the 3.4GB is a logical within the Extended. Windows usually shows Linux partitions as unknown.

If you are able to boot Linux Mint, do that and open a terminal and run this command:

sudo fdisk -l(lower case Letter L in the command), you will be prompted for your user password so enter it to get the output which you can post here. Primary partitions will be shown as sda1-4, logical will be sda5 and higher. The output will also show and ID column. Windows will be 7, Linux 83. The System column will be HPFS/NTFS for windows and Linux for Linux. If your 48GB shows Linux, then you know.

I would suggest you post the fdisk output here to get specific suggestions.

"My primary concern though, is how do I do a fresh install of Linux Mint 11 when it is released?"

Suggestion One
    : do not use NTFS on hard drive (hdd) where any Linux resides
    Suggestion Two: transfer any and all files from NTFS partitions that are desirable to keep to the hdd where Win7 resides
    Suggestion Three: wipe the hdd where a clean install is desired using the dd command; for example

PHP Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync 
    and use ext4 file system; this will result in a truly 'clean' install not corrupted in any way by anything not linux*

Suggestion Four
    : do not use the NTFS on any dedicated hdd containing any linux distro; keep anything Windows separate from the dedicated hdd

*of course, this cannot be done with a one hdd dual-boot

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks yancek. I will have to try that later as someone needs to use the computer right now.
    I will try what you suggest and post again later.

Your help is much appreciated, John