Find the answer to your Linux question:
Deep breath, this is driving me insane. Hi folks, I've been reading up like mad trying to figure out how to get my graphics up to speed here. It's a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dreaded ati drivers

Deep breath, this is driving me insane.

Hi folks, I've been reading up like mad trying to figure out how to get my graphics up to speed here.

It's a totally fresh install of mint (tho I'm wondering if I just ought to re-install everything...again) and all I've done so far in terms of graphics is try to install the ati catalyst control centre from the software manager.

It installed, then promptly said when I ran it;

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

Aticonfig says "No supported adapters detected"

I've been gleaning a little info from this - (another linux forum and dude with ati problems it won't let me post here cos I'm too new

...and have tried the commands;

mrcatkryten ~ $ aticonfig
    aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
    mrcatkryten ~ $ fglrxinfo
    Segmentation fault
    mrcatkryten ~ $ fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    Segmentation fault

Hmmmmmm...any ideas?

As an interesting side note when I installed the catalyst control centre the mint logo at startup changed to some chunky 'terminal style'
    text saying "Linux Mint 10" with the usual row of dots under it, but the nice logo with 'from freedom came elegance' is still there on the shut down screen. Weird. I'm not hugely fussy about that but I really would like for my OS to use as much capability of my graphics card as possible which it doesn't seem to be right now.

My card is an ATI Radeon 9550 128mb. It's old but the amd/ati site are still offering propriatory drivers for it. I went through their site and downloaded what it said were the correct drivers covering a number of old cards including mine, for Linux.

It's a '.run' file.

Following ati's instructions with the driver (apparently written for older/other linux version) I tried this;

mrcatkryten ~ $ cd Downloads
    mrcatkryten ~/Downloads $ dir
    ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    mrcatkryten ~/Downloads $ su

kryten Downloads # sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.oH3Fd1
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.35-28-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.oH3Fd1
    kryten Downloads #

How very frustrating, I'm no expert in the terminal, and new to mint/Linux.
    Any help Huuuuuuuugely appreciated
    Thanks

Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver from the ATI website? Are you using 32 or 64 bit?
    Try this command and post your results if you can.
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
    or
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vv
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Well I'm on 32 bit but the long and the short just now is I found a lot of folk grumbling about the ati drivers and saying 'xsystem-something-radeon' ( can't remember the something bit) was the driver I required. I uninstalled the ati catalyst thing and any sign of ati drivers using the synaptic package manager and it got my nice startup logo back at least.

For various reasons tho I'm now reinstalling and repartitioning and I'll take it from there. In all my travels so far I've not come across those terminal commands yet tho. I get the feeling I'm learning something new every day, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

Thanks for the swift reply

Just Joined!
    On a fresh install of mint, always the first thing is update. Next install build-essential and then dkms. Reboot, then install any hardware drivers. When I do this I never have a problem with the ATI or WIFI drivers. Most distributions install the build set and dkms by default. Apparently mint does not.

Just Joined!
    Also to fix the startup logo, go to the menu and find Startup Manager. once it loads select 1024x768 24 bit for the startup screen. When you close it will update the loader. If your screen will support one of the higher resolutions you can select it, but don't use a custom size. The next time you boot up you should see the LinuxMint Logo

Just Joined!
    Just an FYI. Build-essential and DKMS are needed to compile the hardware drivers and integrate them into the kernel. Without these, ATI Catalyst will still install but the driver will not be active because its not in the kernel. Hope this helps.

My card is an ATI Radeon 9550 128mb. It's old but the amd/ati site are still offering propriatory drivers for it. I went through their site and downloaded what it said were the correct drivers covering a number of old cards including mine, for Linux.
    ATI cards can be a bit of a mess. As of version 9.4 the proprietary driver will only support cards with core version r6xx and newer. Your card's core is rv350.

And then the older proprietary drivers which do support your card no longer work with newer versions of xorg. I believe Mint 10 uses xorg 7.5, and the older drivers only work through 7.4.

But the good news is that ATI has worked with the open source community on the open source driver, the xf86-video-ati you heard mention. For older cards, they support 3D acceleration (though not quite on par with the proprietary driver), and actually have better support for some things such as dual-head displays.

Incidentally, the wonkiness you saw with the Mint logo is because the bootloader requires a driver that supports kernel mode setting. The open source driver does support this, the proprietary driver does not.

So that's the long way of saying, stick with the default open source ati driver. Were you having any particular problems with it before trying to switch?

Just Joined!
    Wow, thanks for all the info folks!
    Reed9: no probs as such, just suspicious because whenever I use 4od or iplayer sites for tv the sound is fine but I get an awful 1fps or so! I know that's not exactly hardcore 3d but it streams perfectly on my phone and on the laptop in the house, so I don't quite get it. It surely can't be a bandwidth thing, with all other devices not having a problem and with the sound not stuttering, just the image. Flawless on a laptop and 1fps on the desktop, hmmm. Messing with the global settings for flash player and giving loads of temp space to the appropriate site seems to do nothing, 'use hardware...' is checked so I can only assume it's some kind of card problem. Any thoughts more than welcome

Well, I can't check out those particular sites, being in the U.S., but I would hazard a guess the problem might be the lack of hardware acceleration with flash on linux and most video drivers. As far as I know, it's only available with the proprietary nvidia driver or the Broadcom Crystal HD drivers. Without that the processor has to do all the lifting, so depending on your CPU and the quality of the streaming video, that can cause problems.

Also, if you're using Firefox, enter about:config in the address bar and set dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to true, if it's not. Otherwise the flashplayer can cause Firefox problems.

There's also a bleeding edge driver, the r300g, that you can try and see if it helps.

Just Joined!
    Well...

I've decided to stick with the originally installed open source drivers for now.
    By all accounts my machine is saying the card is there with all its graphics memory and such, everything's in order but things are just rather slow. Could it just be my processor?

As an example, when I visit linuxmint.com the slideshow thing at the top of the page with the different versions of mint works incredibly slowly. I've been looking at the system monitor for any clues and my processor, the cpu history in the resources tab is constantly maxing out 100% or fluctuation from 90 to 100. Surely something wrong there just using firefox and writing on some forums. Ironically in the processes tab it says gnome system monitor is top of the list for cpu percentage haha, followed then by firefox-bin and plugin-container who jump up and down competing for second place. Also tho the graph in resources tab says cpu at 100%, the numbers for cpu% in the processes tab list add up in total to about 40-50% maybe

I's an AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz so it's not the most blistering processor out there, but more than capable or running windows xp fine.

So, all in all it beats me really as to why things are grinding along it's a bit disappointing as I was looking forward to a nice swift new clean system. It's definately a graphical issue it seems somehow.

Maybe I just need to go and buy a new machine!

Thanks for all the help anyway folks.