Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, Sorry about the overly general post I'm just having a hard time understanding this. I've got a home theatre system that I want to connect to my PC. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Surround Sound from my PC?

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the overly general post I'm just having a hard time understanding this.
    I've got a home theatre system that I want to connect to my PC. I'm getting sound out of it, but not true surround sound.

The problem is, my sound card has only three stereo jacks; mic, line-in and line-out. No spdif. My home theatre system has only two analog rca jacks for auxillary input; red and white. No spdif

Is it possible to get true surround sound this way? Or will I have to buy a new sound card and solder a spidf jack to my HTS?

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    Are you using something like this --> RCA to Stereo

That's what I use for my surround sound to my computer. (Red-White cable converts into Green aux input)

I don't have any problems with it. I constantly listen to music and it sounds really good, but if you're sayin "true surround sound" like DVDs disperse around all your speakers, I think you'd have to have the right audio in that DVD or file. I don't think any ol' sound comes out like the "true surround sound" your talking about. (If my assumptions are correct.)

Let me know if this helps!

SunshineFolk

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Surround sound, like Dolby 5.1? You need with digital output, or more than 2 channel stereo output. Most PC sound cards only support two channels (left and right stereo). Myself, I don't bother with surround sound on my PC. I have a really nice stereo Bose speaker set that has excellent sound, and has dual inputs so I can have my laptop and workstation both connected to the speakers at the same time.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @SunshineFolk: Yeah, that's what I use, that exact cable. The kind of surround sound I mean is, 5.1 multi-channel individual speaker sounds. Not like Dolby Pro Logic, where the same sounds come out every speaker.

@Rubberman: So to get 5.1 surround, I have to have either digital, or a multi-channel cable? But in the end it's just 0s and 1s zipping up the cable. Is their any software I can use on my sound card that will encode 5.1 to stereo without losing the back channels?

The only other input I have on my HTS is the mic, which I'm pretty sure is a standard 1.5 jack. More likely mono than stereo...