Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I've finally managed to upload a screenshot...well I think I have. You can see the boxes clearly, one on each side of my screen....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've finally managed to upload a screenshot...well I think I have. You can see the boxes clearly, one on each side of my screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm at a loss. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. I thought at first that it might be additional desktops, but it appears you can't get to anything with them.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I agree with Maxon, I've never seen anything like them. Are you running any kind of docking bar?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, I'm running Cairo Dock. I've been running it since I installed Linux Mint 10 about six week ago, the boxes only appeared last Sunday.

You might check Cairo's website and see if a recent update is reported to have any bugs.

Just Joined!
    I've just remembered I was looking for a battery indicator to replace the default one because it doesn't show the battery level without clicking on it. I clicked a download link and nothing happened (at least nothing appeared to happen) then about ten minutes later I noticed these boxes. I can't find the website that I tried to download it from but I'll keep trying. I wish I'd remembered that before, it totally slipped my mind until I inserted my battery a few minutes ago. It must be my age!

I think I found the culprit, I just found this in my history and when I clicked on it it automatically downloaded a tar.gz called gkrellum-pmu-2.5tar.gz. I have a feeling that it might have automatically installed something corrupt.

Try removing that file/program and see if it corrects your problem. If it does, be sure to mark the thread solved.

Just Joined!
    Thanks but how do I remove it? I'm fairly new to linux and it's not as straightforward a procedure as I thought.

A search on turned up this link. gkrellum-pmu-2.5tar.gz on google.com/linux
    http://ftp.eenet.ee/gentoo-portage/m...krellm-pmu-2.5
    It seems to be a battery monitor for apple products.

From:Gkrellm-PMU | Download Gkrellm-PMU software for free at SourceForge.net
    Gkrellm-PMU is a plugin for Gkrellm to display battery status on Apple PowerBooks. A battery icon visualize the current battery status and information provided by /proc/pmu will be displayed as text. The current consumtion could be displayed as graph.
    Project Home
    pbbuttons.sf.net

Hope that helps.

I use Ubuntu, in Ubuntu you would go to synaptic package manager, search for the program, and click mark for removal, then apply, and synaptic would remove it for you. What distro are you running?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast