Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a problem with my Linux Mint 10, my screen has a clear box on either side which restricts the width of my browser and push the desktop items ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird "clear boxes" have appeared on the sides of my screen

I have a problem with my Linux Mint 10, my screen has a clear box on either side which restricts the width of my browser and push the desktop items towards the centre of the screen.
    What are these? How did they get there and more importantly, how do I get rid of them?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps: I would supply a screen shot but I don't know how to upload it, if anyone would like a screen shot I can email one.

Just Joined!
    oh well I'll just have to reinstall Linux. I thought this site would be helpful but I was obviously wrong!

Be patient. Responders are all volunteers who answer posts out of the goodness of their hearts, and usually only answer those questions they have had some experience with. Your problem is one I personally have never seen or heard about, so it may take awhile to find someone who has experienced it.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I apologise for my lack of patience, sorry.
    I've tried right clicking on the boxes but when I put the cursor on them they just expand vertically, no other response.
    The best way I can describe them is they look like the boxes created when cropping a photo with Gimp, they're a clear, cloudy grey colour with solid lines on the edges.
    I'm totally lost for ideas as to what they could be or where they came from. I'm hesitant to reinstall Linux because I have software on Wine that I may not be able to get again.

Can you drag the edges of these boxes? Do you have compiz or any other feature turned on that might create them?

Just Joined!
    I can't drag them, they just expand vertically when I put the cursor on them. Very weird, I've never seen anything like them before. It's like having two sections of "dead" screen.
    I haven't turned on anything that might have created them, they just appeared from nowhere...seemingly.

Can you drag an icon into them and leave it? What happens if you take the cursor past the edge of the screen? Also look for any unusual items on your system tray and menu bars.

Just Joined!
    I can drag icons into them but they just stay there as an inactive image and the original icon remains in its place.
    There are no unusual items to be seen. It's puzzling but I'm sure there will be a simple solution. Thanks for your help so far, it's appreciated.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Can you attach a screenshot of the boxes?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I've uploaded a screenshot, it's on my next reply. You'll see how the boxes have pushed my desktop icons away from the edge of the screen, I cannot expand my browser past these boxes.
    Last edited by robert67; 06-07-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast