Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently loade linux Mint 7 on an old computer because my regular computer (Linux Mint 9) is down. There are 2 drives. /dev/sda1 Fat 32 (Mount point blank) 72.3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount and memory problems

I recently loade linux Mint 7 on an old computer because my regular computer (Linux Mint 9) is down. There are 2 drives.
    /dev/sda1 Fat 32 (Mount point blank) 72.3 Gb 71.93 Gb unused
    /dev/sda2 extended 2,5 Gb
    /dev/sda5 ext3 / 2.33 Gb 119.38 Mb unused
    /dev/sda5 linux swap 172.54 Mb
    The disc mounter shows that the sda1 id not mounted, but does not mount it. In fact, I believe the disc mounter shows all the sda devices as being unmounted.
    I can use google and linux forums, though a little slow (800 Mh chip could be the reason as I am used to 3.1 system), but thunderbird started requiring me to empty trash and compact folders. That worked a few times. Now it says to delete some e-mail. When I try (there are 20 or 30 emails) it says it cannot write to in box and nothing can be deleted. No mail can be downloaded.
    I believe the problem i that it i running off sda5 and is not accessing sda1.
    There is nothing in dmesg that I can see as a problem. I cannot copy it or take a screen how.
    fstab only had one entry regarding drives. It included noauto, which I changed to auto, but it must have been mouhting sda5 before I changed it.
    I am not very knowledgable in using terminal commands so I will need specific instructions for that.

Linux Guru
    You installed Mint on sda5, a very small partition which is almost full already. What's on the windows partition (sda1)? Have you tried creating a mount point for it and mounting it? You don't have an entry for sda5 in the /etc/fstab file, do you?

You said you have two drives but only posted information on one drive?

Just Joined!

Mount and memory problems

Here is a copy of fstab.

Code:
    xxx@xX ~ $ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=52a3953b-4d93-43ac-acc1-69f51a7d185a /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=64ae9d03-308a-4a39-8498-7bd9f510bc89 none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,auto,exec,utf8 0       0
    xxx@xX ~ $
    I don't know about the statement #swao was on /def/sda6 during installation. I do not have sda6.
    I am going from memory and I may be wrong. I think the sda5 is a small hard drive I installed one time when I was using windows. sda1 is what was the main drive for the windows system. I went to MS-Dos and did a format on C: when It finished I inserted the Mint 7 disc, the only thing I had that would boot. I really did not pay attention to where it said it was installing. The 72 Gb is what I think was the main HD and the sda5 is, I think, a separate drive. Not that I was wanting it that way, but can't Linux reside where it is and things be run on the other disc?
    Thanks for your quick reply. I could not get back earlier.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 06-29-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added Code Tags

Just Joined!
    I forgot to answer about sda1. It has home (xxx) which has basic folders -- Documents, Pictures, etc, which are all empty. I attempted to create a test dvd. It just created an .iso image but did not burn. That image is on sda1.

Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure what the problem is? It looks like you have a windows partition (sda1) which you say you formatted. Your fstab output shows your Mint on a logical partition (sda5) and a swap on sda6. If you formatted C drive that is what probably is sda1 so there's nothing on it? I'm not sure what you want to do. Can you boot Mint and get your partition information to post? Open a terminal and run this command: sudo fdisk -l (lower case Letter L in the command.

Hi mfklinux - Are you trying to save all of the stuff in the various partitions? If not, how about just starting over and give Linux the entire drive.

If you want to save everything how about trying:

Code:
    sudo  fdisk -l /dev/sda
    This should give you a list of partitions on the sda drive

if you have a second drive:
    Code:
    sudo  fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    It sounds as though you just want a root partition and a swap partition. Just keep it simple for now. If that is the case - I would re-install and allow Mint to lay out you partitions for you. Tell installer to use the whole disk.

Let us know...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Just Joined!
    This is from fdisk

Code:
    xxx@xX ~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
    [sudo] password for xxx: 

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x21682167

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1        9403    75529566    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda2            9404        9729     2618595    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            9404        9707     2441848+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda6            9708        9729      176683+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Code:
    xxx@xX ~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 2559 MB, 2559836160 bytes
    128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 620 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1         520     2096608+   6  FAT16
    /dev/sdb2             521         619      399168    5  Extended
    /dev/sdb5             521         619      399136+   6  FAT16
    xxx@xX ~ $
    I probably will reload in a day or so, I want to get the other computer up and going before I reload. I think it defaulted to the wrong HD and I did not notice.

I still do need to know if you can have the os loaded on, for example, sda but have thunderbird or office or something else run on sdb.

I also need explicit instructions on setting a mount point and mounting from the command line. I have read and tried this but always do something wrong.

Thank for the help. If I don't get back here right away you will know it is trouble on this computer.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 06-29-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added Code Tags

Linux Guru
    I do not have sda6.
    Your fdisk output tells us otherwise.

I think the sda5 is a small hard drive I installed
    No. It's the first logical partition on your Extended partition.

I forgot to answer about sda1. It has home (xxx) which has basic folders -- Documents, Pictures, etc, which are all empty. I attempted to create a test dvd. It just created an .iso image but did not burn. That image is on sda1.
    Are these supposed to be Linux folders on a windows partition? You said in an earlier post you formatted C:\ which I would expect was sda1? You have an 80GB drive and either a very old 2.5GB drive or flash drive. I'm still not sure exactly what you want to accomplish? Doesn't seem like you have any data you want to save??

Just Joined!
    My computers are both on linux now. One computer had failed and had to be repaired/reubild. The other was an old computer on Windows 98SE. At this point in time Windows 98 is so disfunctional it is worthless. I could never get it to boot from the Mint 7 disk so I first went in and did a format on C. That got windows forever out of the way. I then eventually got it to boot on the CD and did an install of Mint 7. I did not carefully watch the installation and probably answered the options wrong when it ask about formating. I find that I do have an 80 Gb and an old 2.5 or something like that, Gb drive. There were some partitions on the 80 Gb drive and mint loaded on the smallest one. I did not realize this at the time I posted my question. After I did realize it, I thought I should be able to move mail and files to a larger partition, but never figured out how to do so.
    I now have Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) on this computer and it is great. It loaded, recognized the printer, scanner, network, extra USB card and everything. It is fast and good. On the old computer I have only a CD drive, not DVD so I could not load the LMDE on it. I had a Mint 7 disk and loaded that, making sure it was on the big partition. I have not really checked it out yet, but it appears that all is well.
    One thing I have learned in doing all this attempted reinstalls, and apparently many others do not know it, is that when your computer is booting up, if you have your bios set to boot from CD or DVD and it is failing to check or boot from the CD DVD this worked for me. When the computer starts it comes to a place where it says something about booting from cd. It only stops there for a second or less. I always thought this was just for information, but this is a place you can hit enter (very quickly) and cause it to boot from CD. At least, that is what seemed to work for me a few times.
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. Mfklinux

Just Joined!
    Since you seem to be reasonably new to Linux and partitioning your drives under Linux, I suggest backing up all your data from the old computer, and then reinstalling.

At the partitioning stage, just tell the installer to "use the whole drive", which should give you an appropriate basic partitioning layout to work with.