Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may sound like a simple thing, but why is my Firefox starting automatically when I turn the computer on and log in to the system? It is not a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why is my firefox starting automatically after logon

This may sound like a simple thing, but why is my Firefox starting automatically when I turn the computer on and log in to the system?

It is not a huge problem as most of the stuff I do with the computer is browsing internet anyway, but I'd like to choose which programs start and when.

I'm using Linux Mint Debian with XFCE.

This usually happens when you shutdown/restart the machine without closing your applications first. If I shut down with Firefox still open, when I reboot, Firefox will be open.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    But here is the bizarre thing: I always shut down the applications before I shut down the computer to precisely avoid automatic starts.

Most desktop environments, including XFCE, are able to save your session. Presumably, you logged out/shut down at some point with Firefox open and it saved it. I haven't used XFCE in a long time, but you should be able to find in the XFCE settings an option to start with a blank session. Selecting that should solve it.

Just Joined!
    That kinda worked, I needed to save a blank session. Thank you very much for pointing me to right direction!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Also with Mint Menu, you can right click on a program and select "Start when I log in"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent